NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Skooteri, Toba and I decided to start off the new year at Harris this morning. We launched a little before 7 with frozen rudders. The cables took a while to loosen up enough to be usable:) Felt nice once the sun got up though and everything got defrosted.

We fished til about noon when the wind got up a little bit and everyone wanted to watch football. It was a good day jigging though as we all had 4-5 nice bass each, a bunch of catfish and perch, and one big carp.

Scott had the pigbeasts of the day with a 6.25lb and a 7.5lber. Bob's bigun was a 5.75 and I had 3 between 5 and 6. The rest were 16-19 inch class bass. Around 11 I hooked into a monster and thought I had a state record bass. Turned out to be a 15.05lb carp with a huge belly. I think it was down there feeding on shad to be as fat as it was. The pic didn't do it justice. All fish caught on blade baits. Some pics from the day below. Nice way to start the new years fellas!

Scott's fish:

Bob's bigun:

My best ones:

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
You guys could start a hog farm with all those pigs you landed. Very nice!

When you're using these blade baits, I assume you are vertical jigging? Are you finding them on sonar or just jigging over likely structures? Just curious. :D

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys could start a hog farm with all those pigs you landed. Very nice!

When you're using these blade baits, I assume you are vertical jigging? Are you finding them on sonar or just jigging over likely structures? Just curious. :D
Yes, vertical jigging. Alot easier on calm days to maintain contact with the bait on the bottom and stay vertical. 90% of the time fishing near bait. Other times just likely structure or spotting arches/lines on bottom.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hey I was putting in my jon when y'all were finishing up at the boat ramp. We spoke briefly. Great job on the bass I had a great day crappie fishing, forgot my blades and jigging spoons at home or I would had tried for some of those bass! Took home six really good crappie, one being the largest I've ever caught.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you prefer a certain size and\or color? I used these alot on Lake Erie during the early spring for giant smallmouths (up to 8lbs) and do well, along with walleyes. Most times a 1/4oz in silver.
I actually tried the 1/4oz once and seem to prefer the 1/2, I'm sure they'd work though. I just seem to have an easier time keeping contact with the 1/2oz. Actually started using a 3/4oz the last few weeks and like those too. Color doesn't seem to matter too much...silver, chartreuse, gold, blue all seem to do pretty well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.