NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well okay, it's 30 miles north but is part of the enormous NYC water supply. Hit it this morning for a couple of hours. This stream runs only 2 miles between reservoirs. Water in the 50's, air temp around 60. Beautiful scenic water. Took a wild brown on a Blue Fox and missed another. Downsized to a 1/16th oz. white rooster tail and caught this beauty. Somewhere around 15 inches. [http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/15/ata5umas.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can't believe there are beautiful browns so close to NYC. I grew up in NYC and still remember fishing in rusted out holes in large sewer pipes for tiny catfish with just line, hooks, and corn. Think of ice fishing but with 3 inch holes on the tops of sewer pipes about two feet wide. One time I caught what I thought was a monster, but it turned out to be a snapping turtle. I know this sounds far fetched but I promise this is true. In any case, those are some nice browns.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't believe there are beautiful browns so close to NYC. I grew up in NYC and still remember fishing in rusted out holes in large sewer pipes for tiny catfish with just line, hooks, and corn. Think of ice fishing but with 3 inch holes on the tops of sewer pipes about two feet wide. One time I caught what I thought was a monster, but it turned out to be a snapping turtle. I know this sounds far fetched but I promise this is true. In any case, those are some nice browns.
The water you drink in the City originates in the Appalachians over 100 miles away. A series of reservoirs full of awesome water including streams linking them provides year round temperatures ideal for trout. Plus you get the occasional lake fish up in the streams. This one has been in the stream a long time though, you can tell by the vivid coloration. Brownies from the lake are more silver. And there is not one bit of trash to be seen because it's an artificial only stream. You tend to get more appreciative fishermen in those.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Know when an old coot Yankee is excited about catching a fish? He'll leave his nice rod/reel combos in the dirt. Check the 2nd picture down.
Glad you're enjoying yourself John. Fantastic job on the catch. Thanks for the pictures, and report.
That Okuma reel is a $3 eBay purchase you old goat so I really don't care. As for my fishing outfit, Mrs H packed. I just snuck a rod, vest and wading shoes into the car...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Great scenery and a nice fish to go with it ...Congrats

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Great job on the catch John. I love the way you're able to sneak your fishing gear along on trips with your wife. Now I'd love to know what you told her when you did go fishing.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great job on the catch John. I love the way you're able to sneak your fishing gear along on trips with your wife. Now I'd love to know what you told her when you did go fishing.
She did object to the rod being in the car. However I pointed out that it was a 5'6" ultralight and took up no room. Only other gear was my vest. My strategy for going fishing is advanced stuff and not recommended for newlyweds. All the women and grand kids stayed with a cousin 30 miles away and my son in law and I stayed with my Uncle. He lives right in the middle of trout nirvana.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts