NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just recently started surf/pier fishing after my girlfriend convinced me to, so I thought I'd register here and see what I could learn. We've gone out to Oceana pier a couple of times, and that has been my experience thus far. I've been using a 6'0 Shakespeare ugly stick, and just recently picked up an 8'0 Daiwa D-wave combo for $16 :). I'm looking forward to using her out in the surf this weekend.

So far I've just been interested in catching something with a little variety, lol. Of course I'd like to pull in a good, impressive catch, but I was happy as a clam when I managed to reel in a blue crab last night :D lol. It was nice to pull in ANYTHING besides those dang sand sharks.

Any advice I can get on locations, lures, rigs, bait, and methods will be GREATLY appreciated. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on this...it's just a fun hobby, and a good excuse to get out to the ocean more.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
best way to start is the simple 2 hook bottom rig they sell all over. Bait it with the freshest shrimp you can buy and be sure to remove the peeling from the shrimp bacasue it lets more scent release into the water. Use a 3oz weight so it will hold better in the waves. Sand fleas (crabs) work well too and you can dig them up yourself along the beach if you know how to find them...look for the little "V" shaped trails of water as a wave washes back out and that shows you the hole they are in and you just scoop them out and keep them in a bucket of damp sand and shaded.
I would suggest going to a pier for the best luck (Bogue Inlet Pier is a nice one near you) with the rig you have since you can get beyond the breakers (white cap of the wave) and have a bit more mobility but I know it gets expensive as well.
With the "less expensive" reels be sure to flush it out good with fresh water after each trip or it will corrode.
I've had good luck with the $39-$49 Surf/Catfish combos from Wally-mart as well and you get a longer rod to cast farther from the beach.
Use the "Search" function here with keywords like ( surf, pier,pompano, flounder,spots) and see what info has already been shared..
And WELCOME!!!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Welcome Drego. I'm willing to bet after a couple of trips to the pier the Tackle Monkey will find a new home. Bottom Rigs, Gotcha plugs, Spoons, Mirro-lures, X-raps, and Berkley Gulp will find it's way to your tackle box. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Hi drego and welcome!

There a couple of good spots over on the Morehead side that I have done well at this time of the year. If you go up Arendell St. in Morehead towards Beaufort as you pass the port authority and go over the first bridge there is a public area to your left with a public pier (you will see it). They just extended that pier out another 300 ft. almost to the channel. I have caught Puppy Drum, Flounder, large Croakers and spots there. Directly across the road is the access to Radio Island. The public beach access at Radio Island can be very productive especially for Flounder and Puppy Drum. Walk all the way down to your right where the channel marker comes in close to the beach and fish for Flounder along the edge of the channel. Walk on down to the jetties and catch Puppy Drum. The big Drum can be in there during the very early morning falling tide.

Mark

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
If your fishing around AB, the guys at Freeman's would be glad to help you out tell you whats biting, what to use etc. Freeman's is located on the causeway in Atlantic Beach. If you are fishing in the vicinity of Oceanna Pier I would try out going down to Fort Macon. They are several jetties and it is very close to the inlet. Just walk all the way down the island.
When going into Atlantic from Morehead on the bridge there is a small area immediately to your right where I have seen several people fish before. Since it is right next to the bridge you can catch sheepshead and black drum in that area.
Going along with what sundrop said I haven't seen the sand fleas in AB very thick ever since they replenished the beach.
The number one thing you can do is just go out and get some experience. I would go to Bogue Inlet Pier once a week if I could just to learn stuff. You can check out there website at Welcome

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
K, I'll get this out of the way, first. It's DreQo, not drego lol. :)

Anyway thanks for all the responses so far. It's nice to see this is a friendly forum. Lots of good advice, too, which I appreciate. Anyway, I'm going to try to avoid the tackle monkey as much as possible. I've been using double bottom rigs thus far with average success. I think my problem right now is bait more than anything. I've been getting a lot of people telling me to try out the Gulp bait...but I'm kinda reluctant. I just wish the shrimp would stay on my hook long enough to catch something.

I like the sound of a public pier. The Oceana pier has been great, and the Bogue Inlet pier looks awesome too...but that crap can get expensive! Is that public pier in Morehead City usually very busy?

My g/f had talked to some people at work, and she got a tip about a good fishing spot out at Fort Macon. She said it was all the way down the beach right next to the coast guard station. There's a fence on the beach that keeps you out of the station, and that's supposedly a good spot. I've been reading about how to find breaks in the sandbar and places where fish will school and such.....I really don't wanna get that into it! :confused::) I'm going to try to stick to the known good fishing spots. Oh, I had also read a post on here about the old Emerald Isle pier, and how whats left of it has made a good spot for, I think, flounder?

Anyway thanks again and keep the advice coming! Another good question is what exactly can I expect to catch with my current gear (recap: 6'0 shakespeare ugly stick with 8 lb line, and an 8'0 daiwa d-wave (surf rod) with 20 lb line.) from shore and pier?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Flounder, pompano,mullet,black drum, puppy drum,croakers,blues,spanish mackeral,sharks,skates, are all accessible with your equipment and locations. Just depends on bait, tides, currents, water temp,water clarity oh and LUCK!

Reactions: dreqo

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
You can probably expect to catch blues and maybe some keeper sized flounders. Possibly some spot, sea mullet, and croakers or other bottom fish. If your bait is coming off go buy some fish bites for like 5 bucks and they stay on your hook very good and are probably the same price as shrimp. And the public pier is on radio island just across the bridge from morehead on your left. I bet it wouldnt be too crowded on a weekday.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like I'll have plenty of fish to try for. I just picked up a single package of Gulp shrimp, just to try 'em out. We're going to head over to that public pier on saturday. I checked it out tonight and it looks like a good spot. Hopefully it wont be too busy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yeah! I forgot to ask about fishing spots on base. I'm a Marine stationed on Cherry Point, so that's always an option, too. I'm assuming, however, that anywhere on base is all freshwater fishing, correct? Either way, does anyone know where any of the good spots are? :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Welcome Dreqo!

A spot at Fort Macon we always used to well at was the beach along the inlet. We'd walk all the way up to the fence and fish there. It drops off pretty fast so you can reach deep water. Rigs we used were the standard two hook rigs w/ a bead above the hook (either red or green). Bait it with FRESH shrimp, peeled like sundrop suggested and cut into 1/2 -3/4" pieces. Use small pieces so that the fish swallow the bait, not pick at it. Run the hook through one side of the back and out the other....seems like it stays on better. Best luck we had was using enough weight (either a bank or coin sinker) to reach bottom w/ a tight line but light enough to let it drift. Cast upcurrent and keep your line tight as it drifts back to you. Spot, big croaker, sea mullet, flounder, puppy drum, etc.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Dreqo, it looks like you have loads of info to digest so I'll refrain from suggesting a bunch of stuff. The water is getting warm and it sounds like deep water spots around the jetties at Ft. Macon and Radio Island area should serve you best till the water cools. I was stationed at the CG base at FT. Macon many moons ago. I'm pretty sure you can fish there being that you are a Marine. If you have a Base sticker for Cherry Point MCAS and a military ID just drive on in and park near the station in a visitor spot and ask to speak to the Station OD (officer of the day or on duty officer). He can advise you of relevant station policies as well as point you towards some of the more popular spots. You might even wind up with some good Coast Guard Chow compliments of our rich old uncle. Just treat these guys like old friends and you will get the same back normally. Tell your G/F that she is more than welcome to join us. We won't even give her flack for dating a Marine.:)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Dreqo,

The spot that your girl friend is talking about is actually Radio Island that I mentioned in my last post. The road to it is directly across from the public pier that I also mentioned. That is a great place to fish! At a falling tide when it is still dark the larger Red Drum come up in there. You can also catch some nice Flounder as well. Yes the spot where the old Emerald Isle pier was is a good spot also. You can't miss it, just look for the large warning sign at the public beach access there. The sign warns of under water hazards where part of the pier still remains. As crappie89 mentioned Ft. Macon can be awesome but if you are going to fish around the jetties you need more than 8 lb. test line.

Mark

Reactions: dreqo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I might have to try heading over to the CG station and see if they'll let me fish. That'd be great. I've got so many places to go now I'll be busy for a while, hehe. Sounds like it's good that I picked up that second set-up with the 20 lb. line. I found out that stuff acts like a sail when the wind is blowing, though :-/

And please don't be afraid to throw me any info you have :) my brain will swallow most of it up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would welcome you to the site but I'm a newbie too.

Another good spot in the area is the old Iron Steamer Pier in Pine Knoll Shores. The pier is gone but there is still public access and a small parking lot. You can see part of the steamer at low tide and its a great spot for flounder. Its also an excellent spot for speckled trout in the fall.

Good luck,

Rx Money

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.