NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Depends on the boat, the conditions and the paddler. What are you considering one for and where would you use it? BTW, a rudder is the steering kind, usually with pedals to turn it. A skeg is a fixed one at the back and a fin is a small thin fixed one that is usually removable. At least that is the way I am used the terms being used. So is it a rudder you are asking about? they are not a simple addon if the boat doesn't come with one.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
A skeg makes it easier to keep the boat straight but the tradeoff is it is hard to pivot (which you want to do fishing sometimes; start the boat pivoting slowly and cast in different directions as it swings around). Helps a lot in crossing stretches of open water. Makes the boat draft a little more. I might like one in a boat for the sound but not for inland rivers.
With a rudder that steers, pivoting is not only still possible but easier to control.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have 1 and wouldn't fish without one. I can cover a ton of water without having to paddle at all. A light breeze will push me for hundreds of yards without having to paddle and the same for current or if your using any type of crank bait.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Tarpon 120 fishing waters around Raleigh. A rudder will improve your fishing from rivers to lakes. It gives you control and you can easily pull it out if not required. In light windy conditions you can almost fish without using the paddles, use the wind to drift and steer with the rudder. It will make the kayak track better when making long crossings in lakes. This means you will not need to correct the direction of the kayak by making extra successive paddle strokes on one side go the kayak. In windy conditions you will make many more paddle strokes to get anywere. I like to fish upstream in rivers, the rudder will help steer the kayak and keep you very steady for accurate casts to small targets. When drifting downstream the rudder can be lifted out of the water for better control.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I will echo the benefits of the rudder, as Yakdog described in windy conditions. In open water with a sidewind, the rudder will make directional control much more efficient and less tiring... than trying to make corrective paddle strokes... That can be a major benefit on a big open stretch of lake or sound. Also when navigating twisting and turning channels in a longer kayak....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.