NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here. Formerly on a different web-site but have severed all ties there. I live in the Swansboro area and fish the salt for specks, reds and flounder. Have a 2005 18' Kenner Bay boat with a 90 Merc.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Welcome to the boards. Hope you enjoy your time here better then the last site. Look forward to hearing the reports.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome...I know you Speck'ters are a comitted...or commitable crowd..LOL So you'll love it here!!

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome. Pretty windy this weekend and gonna get worse. Some reds but hard to spot due to the wind. Specks still around and flounder are starting to move in the inlets. Spanish and blues are prevalent at the inlets and nearshore.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Hey speckhunter80 - I'm still very new to inshore saltwater fishing. When you say "hard to spot", are you referring to being able to see redfish tailing in the shallows or is there something else you are "spot"-ing? Schools in the water? individual fish? by their color or something else?

I was at the coast about 3 weeks ago. Never saw a red that I could target intentionally. I did manage to catch several and did spook a couple while paddling around, but I never saw them first. Not sure if its a seasonal/temp thing that makes them visible or if I just don't know what I'm looking for.

Appreciate any input you (or others) can share - thanks!!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hey Speckhunter! Glad to see you made it over here! (I noticed you were gone from the other place). I think you will find this a very friendly place to be.

Folks - Speckhunter is one heck of an inshore angler - be sure to pick his brain good!

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks TA, I get lucky on occasion.

Jeff,
Sometimes in shallow water you can actually see the fish. It might just be it's back or tail. Or you might can see the whole fish if the water is clear enough. Sometimes you will see a whole school. Sometimes what you will see is the wake and you should cast 10'-20' ahead of the wake dependent upon how fast the fish is moving. Sometimes the ripple on the water will be just different and this could be a school, watch it and see if it is moving or shrinking and expanding- throw to the edge. Sometimes you won't see the fish but you will see minnows behaving as if something is after them; guess what, there is. This is a real good place to throw a spinnerbait/imitation minnow. It could be a red, blue, flounder, trout or prea...lizardfish.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Thanks TA, I get lucky on occasion.

Jeff,
Sometimes in shallow water you can actually see the fish. It might just be it's back or tail. Or you might can see the whole fish if the water is clear enough. Sometimes you will see a whole school. Sometimes what you will see is the wake and you should cast 10'-20' ahead of the wake dependent upon how fast the fish is moving. Sometimes the ripple on the water will be just different and this could be a school, watch it and see if it is moving or shrinking and expanding- throw to the edge. Sometimes you won't see the fish but you will see minnows behaving as if something is after them; guess what, there is. This is a real good place to throw a spinnerbait/imitation minnow. It could be a red, blue, flounder, trout or prea...lizardfish.
Welcome! Preacherwhat?:D

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Welcome aboard speckhunter. I think there is a little less Attitude here if you know what I mean. I think some folks over there look at fishing like it is some kind of religion. It's not....and shouldn't be. Enjoy it and do your part to pass it on to future generations in good shape but no need to believe that it is all yours and you make the rules like some folks seem to think. That is one reason why I like this site a lot better. But I think you'll find a bunch more reasons.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Welcome to the best fishing spot in all the world. I need to chat with you about some red fishing. I am from Florida (Mosquito lagoon) and I love me some red fishing. Lord knows I can't catch anything else. Again welcome aboard!

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gery,
I fish in the swansboro area. Bear Inlet, Brown's Inlet. Actually I was looking at your site earlier. Someday I would like reproductions of my two biggest trout. Both were caught wade fishing at the Sneads Ferry Bridge at night 8 days apart. 28" lengths with one 15 1/4 and the other 15 1/2. 8lb6oz and 8lb2oz

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lookie here...my first post ever on NCAngler. A lot has happened in my life and that of the this site over the last 10.5 years. Friends and family have passed on. Site members have passed also. Never pass up the opportunity to hug your friends and family and tell them how happy you are they are in your life. Wishing all of you a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.