NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I apologize in advanced for what will likely be many basic questions about kayak fishing as I take my first baby steps into the hobby. These forums are obviously a great place to hang out and soak up information, but I'm still figuring out the search function and can't always find what I am looking for.

My Question of the Day is:

Why do I see some guys wrapping what looks like a short piece of a swimming "noodle" around their fishing rods and securing with zip ties? I'm thinking it may be so the rod will float if I flip my boat, but it seems like that extra material would really affect my line, especially with my casting rods. Then again, it won't matter much if my rod is at the bottom of the lake. Anyway, just curious about that after seeing many photos of this setup on fellow anglers rods.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Helps the rod float if it ends up in the water. If installed properly there is little interference with it. The only rod I do not have one on is my UL rod. It's to thin for the hole in the foam.

mike
On the package they recommend building up the rod with some tape and then install the float. Kinda stupid that they don't make the 6" floats with a smaller diameter center but if some tape will save an expensive rod and reel it may be worth the task. :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Right now my rod arsenal is limited to 2 bait casters but I can already see that I'm going to need at least one half way decent spinning rig. These floaters definitely seem like cheap insurance like someone said. Heck, I don't even have the yak right now, but it's gonna happen!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.