NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
Either way Big Daddy. To flounder fish I take a large mullet (local bait stores usually have fresh ones if you don't catch your own), filet it and cut it into 4 inch tapered strips. Leave the skin on. I will put it on a bucktail and drag it along the bottom for flounder as they like to lay in wait for dinner to pass by than they are to swim around looking for it. I do the same thing with a dead finger mullet but of course you already have your tapered strip if you filet those little guys. If you want to use cut Mullet for redfish go with a 2 inch or so chunk on a C-Rig. You do not have to pass your hook all the way through the meat. Mullet skin is very tough stuff so you can pass the hook in and out through it. Improves hook ups a lot! For finger mullet I use whole ones when chasing Reds. I prefer live but they will hit a dead one too, especially in the surf where the wave action moves them. Circle hook though the corner of the eye socket and out through the nose, but not too far back near the brain.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
I have never heard that cut mullet is a favorite of flounder fishermen?
Something that swims or looks "swimmy" like mentioned earlier. You are moving the bait past/by flounder (exceptions apply of course) and are presenting the bait to flounder that are buried in the bottom. Having a chunk of fish meat drift by them doesn't sound text book to me. I believe flounder are, by and large, ambush predators yes?

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
One of the best is strip from the white side of flounder. There isn't always a whole lot of meat on the white side and the belly strip last a very long time. Combined with a lip hooked finger mullet is one way.

Galaxy S4. Slimkat 4.4.2 official.

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
One of the best is strip from the white side of flounder. There isn't always a whole lot of meat on the white side and the belly strip last a very long time. Combined with a lip hooked finger mullet is one way.

That's true HOWEVER...you must have the carcass of the legal sized flounder that it was taken from in your possession.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Thanks guys. This is true and I have been personally, thoroughly and professionally introduced to this regulation.
I truly doubt I would be ticketed of my cooler had fish belly strip bait in it though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Last fall, the New River Inlet was being heavily inspected,,,, 2 wardens, every weekend. THEY CHECKED EVERYTHING!
We/ everybody was throw-netting for mostly mullet, but anything else was used for cutbait. ???????
The 'Man' came by and inspected every bait bucket on the beach,,, & every cooler,,,, down to the bottom of the ice.

There was an older man & wife (also snow-birds) next to us that had a 5 gal bucket full of netted baitfish,,, Pins, small spots, mullet, a crab or two,,, whatever came up in the net. The wardens found an undersize/ out-of-season babby, like 3" black sea bass in their bucket and went berserk! They were going to confiscate ALL of their fishing stuff & give them a $400 dollar fine!
The warden picked up that black sea bass and carefully placed into the water,,,,, LUCKILY the sea bass swam away! It wasn't (totally) dead! :>)
They were issued a brutal verbal, & written & signed warning,,, saying that if they were ever caught breaking ANY NC fishing laws in the near future, that THAT $400 fine would also be ADDED to the ticket!
NOT a very friendly way to introduce the NC fishing opportunities to us 'foreigners'.
SO I SAY,,,, watch your touche'.

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
Thanks guys. This is true and I have been personally, thoroughly and professionally introduced to this regulation.
I truly doubt I would be ticketed of my cooler had fish belly strip bait in it though.

I saw it happen to a guy on the point at Cape Lookout. He got a ticket for it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.