NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm in rural central Iowa but have family moving to Asheville in a few months, whom I plan to visit a couple of times per year. I've been learning to live a sustainable life out here on the farm. We grow much of our own food, wheat, barley and grapes for the important stuff :)

I am interested in seeing if it is feasible to spend a couple days fishing the coast of NC and bringing home lots of fish on dry ice. (We don't eat red meat or chicken, but love seafood of all kinds)

Are there species that one is quiet likely to catch a lot of, say, on one of the piers? I'm thinking spanish mackerel - I read it has a 15 fish limit per person/day.

Any suggestions for time of year that would be best? (Iowa has the most polluted waters in the country, so I'm hesitant to feed much of the fish from it to my family!)

Thanks -

Joe

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
If it were me and I wanted the best bang for my buck in bringing as much fish home as possible I would probably go to the local fish market and buy it. That being said if I wanted to make it a fun trip and catch my own with hopes of bringing home some meat I would hire a charter. Yes they are expensive but honestly unless you get lucky you aren't just going to show up here not knowing anything about saltwater fishing and limit out. A good charter captain on the other hand will be you on fish. If it were me, I would look into going out of Oregon Inlet for the yellowfin tuna bite OR go on a bottom fishing charter with someone for grouper , triggerfish, and sea bass.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If you want quantity from the coast you will be targeting Va Mullet ( whiting ) and Spots. Both are sort of the oceans version of bream/perch and you can keep a lot of them and they taste good. Pier fishing with bottom rigs and fresh shrimp, bloodworms or Fishbites artificial bloodworms will be all you need and on NC piers in most cases a NC fishing license is NOT required but to fish anywhere else is, both fresh and salt water. Asheville is several hours from the beaches with Carolina Beach probably being closest at about 5-6hrs drive. Catching a limit of Spanish is harder than it seems especially without a boat and they are very seasonal and dependent on certain conditions and water clarity, temp and winds.
You might be better off to concentrate on all of the awesome lakes and rivers much closer to Asheville for Crappie, Perch, Bream and Catfish. Could be lots of meat at much less expense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both! Sundrop: what is the expense you're referring to? The cost of traveling, hotel, etc?
I've fished piers in the Gulf of Mexico - Marco Island. I really enjoyed everything about it and think my family would enjoy it too.

But I would like to bring home as much fish as possible while spending the least amount of money.

Joe

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Asheville is around 6 hours from the coast of NC. That's a long way to go for some seafood. Asheville is in the middle of one of the best and most relaxing fisheries in NC. We have a great trout stocking program in nc and they taste great. Once you limit out of those go to smallmouth, crappie, etc. IF you have your heart set on ocean fish then a two hook bottom rig on any pier with fresh shrimp can fill the cooler in a hurry. Spot and Mullet, just as they said.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
gas, bait, ice, food, lodging, tackle. You used to be able to practically camp at a pier but now they are quick to frown on setting up for a long stay or sleeping in the parking lot unless you do so very "stealth like". Most piers charge by the rod $8-$9 each and have limits as to how many you can bring also. Rooms vary greatly depending on time of year but $70 off season to $250 in season is common and you have to plan far ahead to get good rates. I like piers, especially when you are bringing family along as the kids can entertain themselves wandering and looking at people and what they catch. Just know that peak times piers can be very frustrating places full of rude selfish people who think nothing of you or your kids and will do and say the most rude and obscene things. During the Spot run, or the Va Mullet runs and summer weekends , I have seen it shoulder to shoulder, music blasting all over, cussing and beer guzzling idiots ready to fight in a second are common. I am no saint by any means, but I have decent morals and respect for others. Cant say the same for many...

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
If your aim is to fish to put good food on the table for the least cost, I think channel catfish in fresh water is your best bet. There are several places where you can catch about as many as you care to and they are good eating. I am at the coast this week and I bought seafood even though I have been fishing. I didn't catch anything of size this trip; just had a good time and learned a lot. I think I will catch more next time, but I doubt it will be a good deal versus buying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is "spot", spotted sea trout?
Thanks sun drop. I agree 100%, simple respect shouldn't be too much to ask, but unfortunately often is.
From Asheville it may be closer to go to a South Carolina pier?

Swampin, I'll definitely check out the fishing scene around Asheville. I'm very interested in snakes and other reptiles and amphibians, so along with fishing, that will be a priority wherever I go. I know there are a lot of interesting snake species in North Carolina!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
BTW, I bought a piece of Mahi at Capt. Willis' seafood shop that was beyond outstanding. Sauteed in olive oil with light dusting of Old Bay and chili powder. Fantastic!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Spot are one of many species of croaker we have here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spot_croaker oh and the coastal pier fishing in SC stinks for the most part. But the Catfishing and Crappie in SC are awesome around the Santee Cooper lakes !!!

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Welcome to the site Kingsnake! Good luck with your endeavors! Keep us posted with reports and pics!

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If your aim is to fish to put good food on the table for the least cost, I think channel catfish in fresh water is your best bet. There are several places where you can catch about as many as you care to and they are good eating...
I love the taste of wild catfish - much better than farmed. As I said though, here in Iowa it would be too contaminated to eat, and good fishing spots are few and far between. We have a farm pond just across the way that is stocked and almost no one fishes. But there is substantial ag runoff that pollutes the water.

Are there good fresh water fishing areas anyone would recommend near Asheville? I'm not much of a trout guy really. Would rather catch/eat catfish.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Suggestion....camp here Cedar Point Campground in Croatan National Forest http://www.recreation.gov/camping/c...oundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72328 or Oyster Point http://www.recreation.gov/recreatio...tCode=NRSO&facilityId=237241&agencyCode=70903 go out on the Continental Shelf head boat from Morehead City for a day or more and fish Bogue Inlet Pier other days. In either case you don't have to buy a license. This trip would cost you roughly $200 (18mpg) in gas, $8-$15 a night for campsite fees, $70-$100 dependent upon 3/4 day or full day on Continental shelf per person, $10 a day plus $5 for rod rental at pier or $27.50 for 3 day pass

And it is 6 hours of driving one way roughly 400 miles

Day 1
leave at 0600
arrive 1200 set up camp/eat sandwiches from cooler
1600 go to pier fish

Day 2
0600 depart MHC on Continental Shelf
1600 return to CG
2200 Fish at pier
0600 back to CG sleep till 1100
go home

Day 3