NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
jwhIII and I went on a fishing expedition this weekend that we just knew would turn up some late winter bass. We went to Lake Gaston on Saturday and trolled ad fished for striper from 9:30 to 5:30, occasionally doing some largemouth fishing, and came out with some lost lures and windburn. So we decided to go to Shearon Harris today beecause we KNEW we could get a bass up there. We fished everywhere that I have been told to go and some other areas where we saw lare groups of fishermen. After another 4 hours, we came out empty handed. It wasnt a total loss though. We got to take the dogs out on the boat and break out the bass tackle for the first time since last summer. I also got to practice with my new baitcaster. Cant wait til spring though, this trip really gave me the fever

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I renewed my membership today down at the local pond... A couple leaves and a waddamono was all I could land.

Lefty

("wad of mono" - say it fast)

·
Registered
418 Posts
As someone who has just fished seasonally in the past (spring/summer/fall), I've wondered why winter is so unproductive. Fish don't completely stop eating in the winter, perhaps slow down some but what are some good techniques to get fish to bite? I had the same issue at tuckertown two weeks ago trout_mag, fished for five different species on nightcrawlers, bass minnows, crappie minnows, artificials and dipbait, but not even a bite!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
what are some good techniques to get fish to bite?
The most common strategy I've heard in my years onboard NCAngler has been not just to slow down a little, but slow down a lot. Lately, however, I've been hearing more of "rip a rat'l'trap past his nose and it won't matter how cold he is". GanzAndere was landing fish this weekend (see the Kayak forums) -- sounded like he was working a slow worm on saturday and a crank on sunday... some of both...

Checking your boat for bananas can't hurt either. ;)

Reactions: Rob S

·
Registered
852 Posts
You are not alone. Trolled from 8:30 to 1:30 on Kerr Sunday, not a hit. There were bass being caught by others, they seemed to favor a very slow suspending jerk bait from what I heard. Also supposedly striper being caught on live bait up in the creeks and coves.

Other than enjoying the boat ride, starting to wonder what is up with the fish, nothing worth keeping for almost a month now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.