NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking around with Google Earth, I came across that area called "Newport Marshes" and was wondering what kind of fishing it offered. It looks to have some deep channels running through it with a lot of fingers and such comming off it. It appears from the air to have the type of environment, you'd look to find flounder, or trout or even Reds on the falling tide.

Can anyone fill me in on it? Its just North of the bridge between the Port and Radio island. I'd put in at the Radio Island Marina and zip under the bridge into the Marshes to fish... is it worth the run?

rye

·
Registered
60 Posts
its a great place to fish for drum, trout and flounder. they have a place back in there called the haystacks, ask one of the locals at one of the bait stores about the area and maybe he can explain how to get to it. hope this helps . got to run, catbird..........

·
Registered
175 Posts
The area you are asking about is that group of islands to your left as you go over the high rise bridge between Morehead City and Beaufort. It's that whole area all the way over to Crab Point.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Catbird and luremaker are right it offers a 3 fish slam. (flounder,trout,drum) I have fished there only once and over caught anything, but I have heard that it is worth the run inside. I may be heading down there next weekend and I will talk to the guys at Freemans and see what kind of report I get. Hope this helps. Crappie :D

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Luremaker,

you are correct on the location. Thats the spot I was talking about. We didn't make it down there today as time didn't allow. We did hit slocum again. Creek is becoming a bad rerun. A few bites one or two small ones.

Lots of stuff jumping though. I couldn't tell if they were stripper or Shad, but something large and silver sided couldn't stay in the water. There were tons of Jumpin mullett in there too. We saw schools of Manhaden that were about 1.5 inches long to boot.

Thanks for checking freemans Crappie... I'll be out of the country for a week, but I'll try to get down there and give it a go when I get home.

rye

·
Registered
60 Posts
rye, try crossing over to the other side of the river and hit beards creek they are biting in there ,flounder, trout ,drum. also freashwater bass bream,and cats. got to run, catbird.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.