NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my fishing buddies and I where talking about various baits and he had mentioned that each year he will work on adding another go to bait to his routine.

So Last year I decided to really go after fish on topwater so buzz baits became the bait I decided to try with great success. So this year I am committed to spinnerbaits and working them more. I always would work a T rig or a Red Eyed shad/rat l trap this time of the year but decided I really want to fish spinner baits more in the right conditions.

In the past I had tried spinnerbaits but had only caught one nice fish on it. Well this year my resolution was to utilize them more. yesterday was the perfect day for them since the wind was really howling pretty much taking the worm rod out of the action. My usual pattern is to start with plastics, move on to cranks and than maybe throw a spinner as last resort. Today I decided I am starting with a spinners and see what happens.

I started off at my favorite point and started throwing the spinner. This time however I removed the trailer, I have heard various different things about using them or not, but saw a segment on using just the spinner and smaller ones with suspended bass. I worked every part of my spot and after throwing the spinner for an hour without a bite I decided to switch to the crank. Threw 3 different cranks no luck.

Finally I decided to head to another spot for last 30 minutes of fishing much further down the lake yo a little cove that always seems to hold one bass in there. Normally in this spot I throw a senko
so after arriving decided only to take the spinner rod and senko rod with me. Started tossing the spinner and I think on the fourth cast BAM a nice feisty little fighter is on. See pic a nice 2.5 pounder on board. This spot is tight so fifteen casts pretty much covers it all. I moved a little up from this spot and second cast in new spot again a nice BAM ad another feisty fighter. Looked like the twin of the previous they differed in size by ounces.

Now I need to work on adding a variety of spinners to the bag I have mostly willow blades but the colorado has been working for ne best white and chartreuse skirt with a red streamer.

My Topwater lure this year will be trying to work a frog there isn't much grass on lake lynn so will be primarily working it over and around laydowns.[HR][/HR]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Good job! How fast was the retrieve on the spinnerbait? You are definitely making me want to go after some bass soon. I love topwater frogs for bank fishing, unlike boat fishermen, a bank fishman can cast at a close angle to the bank and keep the frog within 2-4 feet of the bank the entire retrieve. Bass love it. In a pond without as much vegetation that is where they expect to see a frog. Sometimes they will bust almost up onto the bank after the lure. Some of the most amazing topwater bites I have ever seen. I also have luck fishing buzzbaits the same way, but I miss a lot of fish.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Larger double Colorado blades have max vibration and will ride the highest in the water with the slowest retrieve. These are good for colder water and stained/muddy water.

Rest of the time I use a spinner with a small Colorado and a big willow, sometimes just two willows.

White, white/chartreuse, and black are colors I usually carry with me.

You'll be surprised how snag free a spinnerbait is. You can get pretty aggressive around cover and it'll usually drag over without a snag.

Good luck!

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Larger double Colorado blades have max vibration and will ride the highest in the water with the slowest retrieve. These are good for colder water and stained/muddy water.

Rest of the time I use a spinner with a small Colorado and a big willow, sometimes just two willows.

White, white/chartreuse, and black are colors I usually carry with me.

You'll be surprised how snag free a spinnerbait is. You can get pretty aggressive around cover and it'll usually drag over without a snag.

Good luck!

-Jeff
yes to all above. Whats working right now is a gold colorado blade with chartrues, white and a string of red. Running it slow nd deep

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.