1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boat Water Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Paddle
Water Boat Water resources Watercraft Plant community
Water Fish Fin Sky Fisherman
Floated a nice section of a local flow today with OptiMystic (Andy) and his friend Dale. We hit the river about a half hour after sunrise and found it very low and relatively clear. Just below the launch site there was a small drop made more difficult by the low water. Andy ran it while Dale and I pulled our boat around. Too early to risk getting wet :) The next section of river was especially scenic with a high rocky bluff. I pulled a decent largemouth right off near a grassy bank and the other guys got into fish as well. Then we hit a long shallow stretch that was pretty much devoid of life. Every deeper section we found fish. Andy put up the most numbers by far with his strategy of riding the line between bass and panfish. Dale caught the most bass including one that broke his new rod and he lost a fish that we all agreed was a hawg. I ended up with one largemouth and three of what I think are spotted bass plus numerous panfish. Andy and I did much better on the stretch below this one last week but all in all it was a Sunday well spent.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I enjoyed it and Dale (another HS band dad) was grateful for the loan of a boat out of your fleet. I expect he will be shopping for a yak of his own. I also had a good "one that got away" that I guessed was in the 4 lb range when I swapped to pure bass strategy late in the day. Got it to the yak and let it get too close to the bow and I wasn't controlling it with the rod. The bass are definitely there, but I so enjoy the decent sized panfish on that flow. Awesome day!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
That section is a good one except for the ~mile of shallow sand/pebble bottom. The outside edge of the last big right turn above the take out is where I've landed my best fish in that stretch. There are at least a few 4 lbrs in there. Good work guys. Those sections are very paddle friendly.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
That section is a good one except for the ~mile of shallow sand/pebble bottom. The outside edge of the last big right turn above the take out is where I've landed my best fish in that stretch. There are at least a few 4 lbrs in there. Good work guys. Those sections are very paddle friendly.
It was almost like a lake for about a half mile above the logjam at the bridge. I wish we had been able to spend more time there. That's where I lost a good one.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I like doing downriver floats to see more, but once you have there are definitely spots to concentrate on (this is a general statement about most rivers that aren't too swift to work in both directions) and it makes the logistics so much simpler to take one vehicle and park in one spot. The most scenic spots were not the best fishing and it is definitely worth floating every now and then to see them.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The scenery is a bit part of it for me too and rivers are meant to be floated. I'm kind of blown away by how many options there are within an hour of the triangle. It would be possible to do maybe a couple dozen trips without seeing the same thing twice.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like an awesome day! Yearning for my new canoe if I ever get around to picking it up. :)
It's sitting on the improvised boat rack in my back yard just begging to be used. I saw your thread about putting a kid up front. Harmony (I think) makes a great seat for this. A few inch thick foam base with a high back pad. Sits right on the bottom of the boat for stability. The Field and Stream store in Cary had them in stock last I checked...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks for the tip. We tried that seat at Get:Outdoors and my 4 year old had the nerve to complain and say it wasn't comfortable right in front of his Mommy. I guess he's used to the beach chair in the front of our about on Whaler. Kids!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.