NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone bass fish at night? I live in Jacksonville and fish every weekend but saturdays are getting HOT and lots of pleasure boaters. Besides fishing tournaments im thinking of starting to fishing at night. Just curious if anyone does better at night than during the day and what bodies of water are better at night?

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
I used to fish for bass at night at times. A lot quieter but if you're on the bank watch your step. I wouldn't say I had more luck at night but they'll certainly bite! Love topwater at night!

If the water's pressured night time is a good thing.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I love to night fish when I have time. A popper or popping frog is money, preferably black in color. I usually do better when its not very cloudy so they can see the bait instead of just going by sound, atleast that's what I think.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Its not my thing but I have heard good things about it. I have tried it once or twice and felt lost, not that I cant find my way around the lake in the dark, fishing just feels awkward to me in the dark as I cant see anything. I got a few buddies who night fish alot on Smith Mountain lake and do pretty good.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
If I fish at night I prefer natural bait and wait. Seems to make more sense than casting lures into places you can't see that may get hung up. I understand using natural bait is out if your bass fishing tho.....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Why do most fishermen/women leave at ole' dark-thirty to go fishing? Because fish are most active at night and in the early morning. David & I are always on the body of water we're fishing at around three a.m. when we are able. Bass, cats, crappie (actually any sunfish) are most active at night. I usually will fish a 7" curly tailed Culprit Jet-Black worm. David has his frogs on and will always fish top water while I stick to the worm. Both of us will usually have our limit before the sun rises!

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
They tend to feed more in lower light conditions but don't ever limit yourself to only early mornings and late evenings. I've caught and seen caught some nice fish at mid day!

Side note: it seems river fish aren't as low light preferable as still water fish.....

Sent from my kayak...

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Nothing beats night time fishing. I love fishing at night around structure (fallen trees/stumps/lily pads) with a small buzz bait, poppers, basically anything that can make some noise. The eerie calm of night then hearing an explosion on your bait is awesome.

If you can fish at night, do it

·
Registered
209 Posts
And of course if you're afraid of the big ole' MOSQUITO biting the crap out of you...invest in the new invention by Thermal Cell...it works great. If the wind is really blowing they're practically worthless...but that is when the magic electric tennis racket (sic) and some good bug spray come into play. Usually though the wind dies down at night and we'll put one of those thermal cells in the center of the jon boat and it keeps all insects away for a 15' diameter around us. We'll have a ball when we swing the electric racket above our heads and hear all the electrocutions of the insects that can't get by the force field created by the thermal cell.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I use to love the night bass tournaments in the summer. Most of the time they went from 6 pm -2 am.
Its an adjustment to go from sight casting to casting by feel and timing.
Most of my surf fishing is done at night. No light other than a headlight to bait with.
My favorite time to fish.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
I use to love the night bass tournaments in the summer. Most of the time they went from 6 pm -2 am.
Its an adjustment to go from sight casting to casting by feel and timing.
Most of my surf fishing is done at night. No light other than a headlight to bait with.
My favorite time to fish.
I'm originally from Florida, one of my favorite places to fish at night was Rodman Resevoir. The skeeters are the size of buzzards but Skin Su Soft (sp) typically did the trick.
The big boy bass love to come out at night, hearing one explode on a buzz bait is a real thrill (after you get over the heart attack from the explosion on your bait)
Also to note. In Florida it is also common to have a gator hit your buzz bait. Bring extra baits :)

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
When it gets dark around here, bass like to move shallow to follow the bait. By shallow I mean as shallow as they can go. I do best by casting my bait so it hits right at the water line or just on the bank and pull it in.

I like fishing docks that have lights that cast out a white light...not a yellow light, although you can get hits near those. I have found the white lights work better. If there aren't any white, then any light.

Anyway, jigs, super flukes, white floating worms, spinner baits and even chatter baits work well with this fishing and you can have a blast.

To fish is human!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am also a night fishing fan in the summer with any kind of topwater. I have tried black worms but never seem to have luck with them. My biggest bass last year came on a black buzzbait after dark in August. Get out there and good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts