NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went fishing last night after work at Lake Hickory. Started at the Rhodhiss dam where catching shad is pretty easy. After filling the bait tank, we fished just below the power house until around 10pm and caught several cats before we started heading back down the lake. About half way between Hwy 321 bridge and Lovelady landing, I noticed an interesting hump on the graph so we dropped anchor over it and dropped a few lines. I put out a freeline just for giggles and after a while was getting ready to pull 'em in and head for the landing when the bait clicker on the freeline screamed. I set the hook and the fought the fish for about 20 minutes before he finally came to the boat. By the way it hit and fought, I was picturing a big striper but when he got within sight, it was a blue cat just over 24 inches. We fished for just a little longer without another nibble and soon headed for the trailer.
Tha only bad thing about night fishing is having to get up the next morning and clean the fish and get the boat ready for the next trip but it's definately worth the trouble. :D
Insect Arthropod Fish Wood Tail

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I cut all the way around the skin at the head. Then I have a big nail stuck in a tree in the backyard with the head cut off and sharpened I stick the fishes head on and pull the skin off with a good pair of wirepliers. That seems to work better for me than skinning pliers. They skin best fresh. It's a little tougher when they"ve been on ice along time.

Reactions: Keith
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.