NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, all this talk in that other thread about glow sticks and all that fun pizazz got me thinking about night fishing, and that was that.... we're going.

My buddy and I are hitting the reservoir on Saturday night and pulling a coffee infused all-nighter.

SO....

you guys all do this stuff. let's hear the tips, thoughts, hints and do's/don't's.
What do I need to do/know/bring?

lay it on me, kids!!!!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
You'll need visible signaling devices as appropriate for your vessel, that's for one... I spoke to an enforcement officer -- for my kayak, that means I need to have a working flashlight on board. For a larger boat or one with a motor, I expect it means you need proper running lights and marker lights.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we're on the banks, not in a boat.

we're not rich;)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Oops, sorry. Take a jacket and a lawn chair! I hope the moon and clouds cooperate for you -- spending an evening under the moonlight would be awful cool.

And swing by one of these end-of-year closeout sales and get yourself a canoe or kayak! :D

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
we're on the banks, not in a boat.

we're not rich;)
Well, I can attest.. boaters aint rich! ;) Maint./fuel cost alone can put ya in the poor house quick!

Now, Yakers,, they're more rich than a boat owner!!! :p:D

you'll want to take a lantern of some sort, flashlight (head mounted LED type like Randy has in the Estore are perfect!), drinks, food, enough bait, comfortable chairs and definately dress warm.

Walmart sells "heater packs" that you open, shake and put in your clothes, they do a great job keepin body temp up (excellent for hunting too).

Dont really need glo sticks, but you could use them to try to draw in bait... could slide over line, or attach to a bobber and toss out.

Night fishin is fun... especially when you keep rubber neckin around when things bump in the night.... at least big foot cant git ya from a boat... :eek::D:D

·
Registered
840 Posts
I would recommend the LED headlamp. I used one for the first time a few weekends ago at the coast and I loved it. Both hands were free and I wasn't blinded by the light like happens sometimes when I use a lantern or flashlight.

Temps should be cooler so no need for bug spray. If I fish when its cool I like a hooded sweatshirt and a medium jacket. I'll pack a few pocket warmers too just in case. I usually like to use glow sticks on the tip of my rod, but with your latest discovery I'll be trying them out your way in the (hopefully) near future. Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ill keep you posted on how the glow sticks work out....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and do you guys know much about the dip n glow garlic scented bait stuff?

work?

junk?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Other than what has already been mentioned I would recommend rod holders if your going to use glow sticks for bite signals. Bait: I normally use nightcrawlers or chicken liver because of the easy access to get them. I have and do use stink baits but have never tried the glow garlic scented bait stuff. You might want a stringer or cooler if you plan to keep the fish. I would bring a towel to help wipe off the goo from the bait and fish. But most importantly, you need good company, then no matter what happens you are guarenteed a good time.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I like the new crank style LED lanterns. No batteries to deal with and if you get sleepy you can get up and turn the cranks for a little while to wake up..LOL! I have lanterns and a crank radio and the "shake" to charge flashlights... Love em! I have a propane lantern as well, it can be nice to warm your hands on too if it is chilly...

·
Registered
450 Posts
I just read everyones posts on this subject. The equipment and bait suggestions, I cannot argue with. However if you are fishing from the bank, why dont you just find a place where you are allowed to build a campfire so you can see your rods and also have warmth. No need for glow rod tips or other signaling device. We did this last weekend on Contentnea Creek and cleaned up on some Blue Catfish.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Places that allow a fire are hard to find, especially with the drought. But I do love a nice burnt hotdog and toasted marshmallows! (not together of course..LOL) Not to mention fish cooked on a fire..YUM!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yeah, I was just about to say the same thing. You really need to be careful. If your on NC State Park or WRC lands and have a fire outside of a designated area, you will most assuredly be cited. And with the drought, I believe in some instances the fines can be higher.

I too love to fish and camp next to a good campfire, just make sure that you know the rules / laws where you are when you set it, and extinguish it fully when your finished.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.