NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out to catch some trout, last minute of course as I never seem to be able to plan anything. Drove 2 hours to an undisclosed state park that should be named the local swimming hole. There are fish present but poor things are so spooked unless you have a throw net you aren't likely to snag one. I made my way upstream first, null of families floating about. I always feel like an overweight clumsy ninja when wading a river. I try my best ninja approach only to slip, loose my balance and make a **** of a ruckus. Or better yet I make a stealthy approach to a good hole only to have my first cast snag a limb right over prime real estate. Dadbern now I have to retie a fly. Dern line and eyelets are so small I need bifocals. Alright let's ninja our way to the next hole, steady, steady, kersplash, fish scatter about, squirrels in trees laughing. I don't give up, hard headed as you know what, so I bludgeon on to the next spot only to find a rookie slingin a huge bobber with some trout nuggets at a couple of sucker fish lurking in shallow water. I politely go around and find some vacant water. I finally wound up catching three orange belly bream. Better than nothing, I guess. Trips like this make me laugh. I still love fly fishing. I'm still a beginner and usually by quitting time my ninja skills improve. Sometimes I compare it to golf, not by the score but by how many balls (flies) I loose.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I feel your pain brother. I'm still a rookie fisherman but dang if I don't love hammering through a creek trying my own ninja skill set!

I've embraced a wading staff. If you haven't tried one I recommend it. Sure makes being stealthy easier for me. I can't help you much with the first-cast-snag problem. That happens to me so often it's embarrassing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.