NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from our annual trek to Point Pleasant, NJ for thanksgiving with my inlaws. I have been attempting to fish that week on these trips for 20+ years. I am sorry to say that the late shore season had been declining. But Sandy really messed things up. They have done plenty of replenishment, however, there are no cuts or sand bars to speak of.

I am sorry to say that the beach is the place to go if you surf, not surf fish. The new sand has created a great break for surfing.

Not to say people do not catch fish. But it will take a few more years of moving the sand to make it a desirable place for fish to go.

To bad.... mikeski

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, I thought about a charter.

Sunday evening the wind started to come out of the SE and kept building through Monday. I read that the guys that fished Monday were abused by the SE swell and fishing was not good. The wind started to die and shift some but it rained all day Tuesday and most charters stayed in. Wednesday things were calming down and many charters went out. Thursday the ocean was great but it was still stained a few hundred yards or more out.

On the charters the plan was to start in and look for stripers. Mainly jigging. If no stripers then went further out and fished for black fish (green or whiteleg crabs) and other wreck fish.

People on the beach were casting plugs and plastics. Also soaking clams.

I did see some people catching maybe 12" shad in one spot in the inlet.

mikeski

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was one odd location too. On a funky S curve in a mostly residential section. Outside main street Point Pleasant. I drive by there every time I come back from the inlet. Been going there for 28 years of Thanksgivings. ****, I been married that long???

mikeski

·
Registered
82 Posts
Oh mikeski, the memories. Am from Lavallette. Went to Point Pleasant Beach HS.Fished every mile of those beaches from Manasquan Inlet to Barnegat. Ate lunch at least 3 times a week at that original Mike's. (Actually , when I started in 1960, the REAL Mike still owned and ran it) Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.