NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I headed out this morning at 6am in search of Bonito. Some where caught off of Wrightsville Beach on Wed. They weren't yet in the huge schools Bonito are known for but it was a start. It was very windy and the seas were running around 4-5 feet with lots of chop on the swells. We saw no sign of birds or bonito - headed inshore after two hours and caught some small flounder and drum. Darn - no Trout, so missed the inshore slam....well there's always tomorrow.......:D

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Knowing that we are still due a cool spell what is your pediction for water temps at the end of the month? I'm thinking more about spanish and cobia than bonito but they should be right behind the bonito. Sorry you missed the slam; but you have those days when you get to fish every week.:p AL

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sinker man said:
Knowing that we are still due a cool spell what is your pediction for water temps at the end of the month? I'm thinking more about spanish and cobia than bonito but they should be right behind the bonito. Sorry you missed the slam; but you have those days when you get to fish every week.:p AL
Warm, warm, warm. The inshore temps were in the 70's yesterday in shallow afternoon water. Nearshore was 65. I don't expect any significant cooling - maybe a slight slowing of the warming trend.

Some small cobia were reported caught nearshore this week-end - throwbacks but it's encouraging. I think the Spanish will be here in early May, maybe some strays before then.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I have a long weekend coming at the end of the month and am thinking Topsail but the actual location depends heavily on what the spanish and cobia are doing. Where ever I end up I want to have as many options as possible cause I aim to bring home some and hopefully grill up a couple of spanish while I am there. So far it's only a Fri. Sat. Sun. but I am hoping for Mon also. We have a lot of work developing on the horizon but Mon. is still a good possibility. Mon. means there will be a kayak onboard for sure. That means I'll probably be fishing in some of your holes.:D :p :D Mon. also means 2 or 3 fly rods will be handy in case the wind isn't blowing night and day. Mon. means I won't be worth shooting for the rest of the week!:D And my boss knows that.:mad:

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Al - you are always welcome to fish with me if you want! I may have to work but if I'm available and you want to go out on the Maycraft, let me know, it would be my pleasure. At the very least I'll let you know where the action is at the time.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Al--- Glad to see you getting your priorities in order-- since mine have gotten out of order--Go ahead and take Tues. too.:D Need some more flies? Last batch are killers! Looks like the dentist is going to get my fishing equipment money for rest of this year and then some. Bad timing I should have had it done in Jan.

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looking for the ABs

I'm heading out in the morning to cruse the beach for some Bonita. If your out and come into some give me a call on 16, The R-N-R or try
910 389-0433.
I'll be going out of New River.

GOOD WEATHER!
GOOD FISHING!
GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Dudd, I'm about as far from an expert on bonita as it comes but if you can watch them long enough to get their general direction of travel and then skirt well around them and get about 150 yds or so ahead and upwind (if Possible) you should be into them in short order. They are supposedly spookier than fat alberts and have a reputation for striking short or just getting the tail end of a lure so you might be better off with a lure that the hook is at the tail end. One last thing is that they are known to be very picky about size when they are already busting minnows. Try to keep your lure or bait the same size as what they are chasing. I wish I was out there chasing them cause nothings more exciting than that when it comes to fishing. AL

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Mike, I am still watching water temps and etc. I may fish somewhere further south in order to get a shot at cobia and spanish. Still my heart lies in your neck of the woods. Maybe we can give it a shot. Nothing like chasing torpedoes either.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Forrest, thanks but I need to use the flies I've got. I wish I could take a couple of weeks in order to try out some that are new to me. Those braid jigs look like just the think for bonito and I would like to try some others on them too. I've tied a few that I think will prove to be fish catchers if they get anywhere close to a fish. I think I have a redfish killer worked out I just need a decent day to try it out. Quick and easy to tie so I'm hoping my instincts are on target. AL

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sinker man said:
Mike, I am still watching water temps and etc. I may fish somewhere further south in order to get a shot at cobia and spanish. Still my heart lies in your neck of the woods. Maybe we can give it a shot. Nothing like chasing torpedoes either.
Yeah - I don't think the Spanish or cobia will be here in April.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.