NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out Cobia hunting again today - had the same results as Wedensday - NO cobia. It was a lot nicer out there than the forecast called for - at least in the afternoon. Checked all their favorite haunts - nada. Did manage to catch a couple keeper ocean flounder. Oh yeah and a ton of blue fish which I saved for cobia bait.

I saw that one cobia a few weeks ago and can't seem to get near one again... Well there's always next week!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
At least you weren't working.:D Or at the doc's most of the day like me.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Wifes got family in town....*yawn* and it a nice weekend to fish danggit!!

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After church this morning I took my wife and her sister to the beach on Hutaff Island for a picnic. Afterwards we decided to cruise around a bit and then find a nice spot to anchor up and enjoy the beautiful day.

Of course on my boat, nice spot means - fishing spot :D We anchored up behing Rich Inlet right between Uttley creek - the ladies took in the sun, I cast around for a flounder or two. The wind really picked up - went from 10 knots to 20 and stayed there.

Then all of sudden, I feel a head shake on my line - pop - set the hook and started to reel the line in. Violent head shaking on the other end - not a huge fish but he is really rocking the line - certainly didn't feel like a flounder. I get him to the boat and I can't believe my eyes - it was a COBIA! all 12 inches of him :( He sure rattled that line for no bigger than he is - back in the big pond till next time do we meet. :)

Did manage two flounders and a under the slot drum also.

The Cobia hunt continues..................

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Hey at least you got to wet a line!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Good job Mike. You got brownie points with the women and got to fish too. Wind blew all day up here. Felt like the beach on my back porch. Cooked chicken, baked beans, salad, BBQ bread, and Jalapeno poppers. Got a new recipe for them from the CFO in Raleigh last week. I'll share it with you. Had both girls, boyfriends, neighbors, and just enjoyed the afternoon. Maybe we can hook up sometime this week before I get back into the grind.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Hey Mike, let me know if you need 2 guys to help ya out on cost for a "inshore/nearshore" trip... I'd like to be one of the two if possible. My boss Randall has been "bit" by the saltwater bug and I told him I'd ask ya to see if you have any openings. ;)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The Cobia hunt continues..................
I couldn't let this cobia thread pass without sharing this one with you. Several years ago I was offshore sight casting for cobia off Core Banks with my young local neighbor. An old banged up work skiff came out through the inlet with six teenage local boys on board. They passed us and cut the engine. They were all peering over the side of the boat. I asked my neighbor, "What in the world are they looking for?" He replied "Oh, they're just cobia fishing".

My next question, "Where's their fishing rods?"

Answer,"Don't need'um"

About then, I heard hollowing and commotion from their boat as a gaff went down and about a 50 lb. cobia came over the side and into the boat. As soon as the cobia hit the boat deck the entire crew bailed overboard. They all hung on to the side of the boat for what must have been 30 minutes, I thought surely the sides were going to be knocked out of that old skiff. Soon as the cobia calmed down, they all climbed back in and headed home. Don't knock it, I didn't catch anything and probably had two thousand dollars worth of tackle I was trying with.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Originally posted by Topsail Angler

After church this morning I took my wife and her sister to the beach on Hutaff Island for a picnic. Afterwards we decided to cruise around a bit and then find a nice spot to anchor up and enjoy the beautiful day.
Sounds like a great day!

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.