NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got me a new Fishfinder for the Slayer and man do I love the new Lowrance elite4x Hdi. Mine is the sonar only model with the option to buy the Di ducer which I might later on down the road, but after using Di I really don't have much use for it in the places I fish. I went shoot through hull for time being which worked perfectly Green Telephony Automotive lighting Automotive tire Communication Device Ingredient Mixture Food Grass Dessert

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Nice....does the shoot through hull pick up accurately and everything? I thought about doing this with my yak as well.....also, is there nothing at all on the bottom of the yak? I use my yak for river fishing often and wouldn't want anything on the bottom to be ripped off by rocks....thanks

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I take the plumbers putty and make a mold if you will of the ducer but I make it over sized and make sure its seal to bottom of yak from inside the "well" and outside it has to be water tight I take and just pour enough water to cover the bottom of the well then place the ducer in and close up likenu have in my pic duct seal works better but plumbers putty works just a little softer

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
So is there a small hole in the yak for the ducer or does it sit ontop of your yak and ping through the plastic? I'm not very knowledgable about fish finders and I'd be more likely to get one if I knew the ducer wouldn't be at risk of falling off. I too fish the river mainly and know I scratch to bottom up occasionally.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I bought the Hummingbird 176I kayak kit for mine and it was a "Shoot through Hull" mount. It came with a rubber adhesive mount and a strap. You filled the mount with marine grade bearing grease before putting the transducer in it for better contact and signal. I've compared the water temp against the Garmin in my big boat and it's been with it or within 2 degrees of it in most cases, so that's close enough for me.

I imagine you can buy the Hummingbird mounting kits or there ought to be some after market ones somewhere for "Shoot through Hull". It's nice not having to worry about it in the rivers as you sometimes hit log's and rock's pretty hard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts