NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will share some of my thoughts with you about the lake first and then hopefully I can get some feedback from you guys.

Ok, so from what I was able to see it was a pretty decent sized lake. It becomes even bigger when you have to get around in a johnboat :mad:. From what I saw the whole lake is really shallow. The incline, which creates the depth in the lake is really really gradual. In some places it is only like 3-5 feet even as far as 50 feet from the shore.

My dad and I fished mostly off the banks--really shallow areas from what I could see. We used plastic worms, poppers, spinner baits and rapala crankbaits to no avail. We spent about four hours fishing the lake and came up with a big fat goose egg.

We went left immediately after the marina. I'd say we got to within 100 yards of that little island. We fished the closest banks on the left side first and then crossed to the other side of the lake. We eventually hit the middle of the lake and came back.

I am pretty dissapointed. I have seen a couple members of this forum post pics of some really nice fish but I am still yet to figure this lake out!!! I have never caught anything at lake brandt even though I have gone out like three times.

Please tell me some hot spots or just how to fish the lake in general. Im going back there tomorrow and hopefully I can redeem myself. I think tomorrow I will probably head straight out from the marina and try to fish the right side of the lake.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Carry some live bait and toss it out on a rod while your casting and see what happens.. It may be that they are there, your just not getting their attention.... Sounds like a noble effort!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've been fishing Brandt for the last three years, and I've yet to figure it out. In this whole time I've probably caught three bass there, of no real big size.there are large bass I just just can't find them. The crappie are small, although I have taken a few nice one's but nothing to bragg about. I have taken several large cat's from there >8lbs. The only reason I fish the lake is that it close and I keep hoping to get lucky one day. My feelings on the lake is that it is over fished and will always be over fished. Until the city does sometype of fish management this lake will never produce anything of real big size. If your looking for the gills they are there enough to have a nice fish fry. This is yet one other reason why I hate these man made lakes, they offer no type of natural structure for the fish. A few months ago I asked the Lake warrden if they allowed the sinking of x-mas tree's, no way it could ruin the drinking water, understandable, these fish attractor's are a joke.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.