NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lefty and I went out to Lake Jordan this afternoon for his maiden fishing trip from the new 'yak. He landed a couple of small fish that I am still not certain about but had all the looks of baby stripers ... and a nice sized catfish. Here's his pix ...

I, on the other hand, caught squat! I think I'll give up fishing and become a guide. So far, the people I go fishing with catch ... me, I just cast! :( Heavy sadness!!!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
IT WAS SO COOL!!!

I finally learned what it was like to play a fish out! Everything to date, I've always just horsed it ashore! This cat, we were actually just starting to troll our way back to the takeout spot. I had loosened my drag so I could tell when something hit, and sure enough, the reel started singing!! I could tell it was trying to make for shore... I was steering the 'yak by where I put the rod tip... I guess he figured out I was on a boat, 'cuz he went back and forth under me a few times, I just kept passing the rod tip past the front of the 'yak... He finally tuckered out before I did!

Yes, we let him catch his breath, so to speak, before he swam way. Even the little baitfish I caught were able to swim away under their own power.

Thanks for the company, and photography, and most of all, Coach, the COACHING!!
Lefty

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
BassViaFly said:
You said you were trolling when the cat hit. What were you tolling with? Its always a sweet surprise when you get a cat on a moving bait!
I had a neon-green curlytail on a small jig, with a little spinner attached. (Actually, it came in the kit with my kid's rod.) We'd noticed fish jumping all around, so I decided I wanted something that would attract a little attention.

Lefty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.