NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Pleasure to meet everyone on here. Well, lets see....on here I'm known as Dekelor (yeah it's an old tag), but most call me Greg or Kong so whatever works. I'm a father of two kids, married, and enjoy fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, boating (don't have my own unfortunately, at least not yet!), cooking, gardening...heck, anything to do with the outdoors and culinary stuff. I'm a stay at home father, enjoy music, games, etc.

Guess you could say I'm one of those freaks out there who takes the outdoors too seriously sometimes. Always studying about different species of fish, wildlife habitats, watchin' hunting and fishing shows, and when I"m not doing that I'm out there actually doing that stuff like fishing and hunting and what not.

Been in the area for not too long, but haven't really met many people with similar interests in person other than those who work at a few of the stores. Odd eh? Especially being around here in New Bern!

Well, can't say I have too much experience hunting or fishing...kinda started late in life since it wasn't something "acceptable" growing up, but am pretty darn good shooting a bow and have some of the book knowledge at least. Been fishing with the wife and kids once in a while when we're all free (we have one car so, not so easy to get around really unless I plan it out in advance). So far caught a yellow perch here, and some sort of fish that I have no flapping clue what it was (heck none of the people around me had any idea either). Wife caught a flounder and kids keep getting bites but don't seem to be able to "hook" them just right yet, but they're getting there. Came up from South Carolina, where I fished a lot, unfortunately due to not having a "boat", couldn't get to the good spots; almost like it's darn near required down there, so all I ended up with was a few bluegills at a friends house in all the 10+ years I lived there. Before that It was New York, where I was able to go fishing a couple times due to my sisters at-then husband who tried to introduce me to fishing and got my first kit (yeah that didn't go too well when the parents found out), but was able to catch a sunfish (red belly), and one brown trout. As for hunting, I tried to go hunting once with a neighbor of mine who was gonna take me under his wing (this was in SC), we got nothin', and unfortunately that was the only time we went out...moved just a few months after that.

So I guess you could say....I'm a "Noob Sportsman"!

Hoping I can meet some new faces, get to go on some fishing trips with some folks in the area here in New Bern, learn a whole lot from the folks around here, and who knows, may end up going on some hunting or camping trips too...heck might have some new friends for the kids if they're parents as well (which would be a huge plus if you ask me).

Again, pleasure to meet you all and see ya'll around!

Kong

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Welcome...

Welcome - I'm on the wrong side of the state to be much use to you, but I advise you to check the fishing clubs forum.... You may want to consider joining the Red X group.... I was in similar knowledge situation, and they took me under their wing and taught me how to fish. I'm now an addict.

Red X will be doing a meet & greet at the Rivers Edge Campground in Bayboro, NC at the end of Sept, chasing flounder, sea trout, and red drum. No boat needed, there's a nice fishing pier in the campground. That said, my guess is that someone will find a spot for you on their boat. A weekend of camping, and we all contibute towards a group meal or two.

It's a family friendly situation.... There may be an adult beverage or two, but it will be discreet, and nobody acts like an idiot. At least some other kids and spouses will be there.

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Welcome aboard Kong, you've certainly come to the right place. I suggest reading through the different forums here, there's a wealth of knowledge to be had from a great group of people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.