NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
As a non-catman help me out on this...

The GF seems to think this involves getting in the lake and plucking them out by hand (your arm being the "noodle")... Interestingly, she's dying to try it but HAHA I'm not. So when you guys say "noodling", are you talking about diving in there and grabbing them? Or jug fishing with pool noodles instead? Or something else entirely?

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I'm just wondering ......... were there as many crazys prior to reality TV?
I think it gives them an outlet and maybe some encouragement; Walter Mitty might have busted a move on YouTube. :D

I actually think that type of noodling, where they see the fish, isn't as crazy as the guys that blindly reach into undercut banks of muddy streams.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Might want to check in at the Game Warden station and talk to them. Make sure you are OK to do this and if so, if they know of anyone that does it.
It is specifically allowed in the regs:

Manner of Taking Nongame Fish● Nongame fish may be taken by hook and line or by grabbling;
no fish may be taken by snagging. Special devices may be used
to take nongame fish with proper licenses (see “Special Fishing
Devices,” page 29) in those counties and waters with open
seasons (see “Seasons and Waters” pages 30 –34).
Grabblin, Grabbling, or Noodling is the age old art of fishing with your hands.

I am somewhat at odds with the WRC about catfish being "nongame fish" but that is their designation. I think they should allow noodling for cats but wholesale harvesting should not be allowed everywhere, IMO.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Good advice Scott. We have a different set of circumstances in our area. People set out snapping turtle traps in the same ares as they do for catfish, and catch a lot of them. One of my friends used to trap turtles, and one of them managed to bite his ankle whil he was putting it in his boat, and that was out of the water. I'm skeered to do it.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
No. The memo says doing things with style is now passé so please update your technique to include some sort of stark-raving-mad angle without delay.

Or like the Nature Boy says... Put some WOOO!!! in your wooo hahaha!!!
Or maybe it is the old school ******* marketing approach - if you want people to watch something, have scantily clad women do it in the mud... :eek: :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
There is an old dam, a water purification plant and may be other areas along the river on Ft Bragg that may be off limits. Checking in also lets them know what a vehicle is doing sitting along the road and know what is going on and an idea where to look in the event you don't show back up.

MP"s and Game Wardens patrol the lands on Bragg. The training areas are not open areas where you can go for walk abouts. Ft Bragg and other millitary reservations may have other restrictions besides what NC wildlife does.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Or maybe it is the old school ******* marketing approach - if you want people to watch something, have scantily clad women do it in the mud... :eek: :rolleyes: :D
Dude they'll have to do better than that to get more than 13 channels out of me. Now scantily clad women, mud and a half dozen snakes? Maybe. Throw in a gator? Hand me down my wallet ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.