NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 whole months of not fishing due to a broken wrist, I finally got an opportunity to get out on the water this evening and wet a line with my cousin, Cody. We put in at Queen's at 5:00, and I spotted something white making a commotion on the water's surface. We motored over to investigate and found what I'm convinced was the biggest shad Lake Norman has ever seen. I reached down and grabbed the behemoth and took a few pictures, and we got fishing shortly thereafter.

We started off fishing a main lake point. Cody got bit on a deep diver in about 14' of water. I was throwing a crank as well, but I had a gut feeling that I needed to tie on a popper. After a brief internal debate about whether or not I should trust my instinct, I decided I'd give it a shot. 4 casts later, I was hooked up with a decent keeper. We went on to fish around the point and I caught 2 more off of some rip rap, both pretty shallow. We decided to switch to another spot, where I caught a keeper and two fish that were hardly any bigger than the popper itself. Cody was throwing a buzzbait, chatterbait, shaky head, fluke, and a Carolina rig, but he didn't get anymore bites after his first.

All of the bass seemed to strike the very back of the lure, or miss it entirely. I was super antsy towards the beginning, so I ended up missing 2 or 3 fish because I yanked the lure right out from in front of them. One of the ones I landed had actually missed the lure 3 times in a row. I was shocked I actually had the patience to let him eat it before loading the rod, but I guess practice makes perfect. Just pay attention and keep on popping until you feel that sucker finally get ahold of it. The bass were going for a pretty aggressive popping pattern with a long pause as soon as the cast hits the water and in between about 5 sharp pops.

Overall, it was a great couple hours out on the lake. I was absolutely stoked to get back on the water after my injury, and there's nothing like some quality fishing time with your best friend. Catching a couple fish never hurts either!

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Short strikes like that, and stubborn fish... if the water was pretty clear I would have tried a float-n-fly on those spots!

Nice job getting some fish, glad you got back to it after your injury.

Reactions: zachattack

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
man I wish I had a bunch of those shad in the freezer for catfish bait!!!

Reactions: zachattack

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you're able to go fishing again. That is a monster gizzard shad! Some nice spots there too. Those little invaders don't get much bigger than that, do they? Just kidding..lol
Thanks man! Yeah, I was surprised by the confidence of those tiny fish. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of camera angles that can make them look any bigger than the popper itself, lol. But hey, I'm not complaining. A fish is a fish. Here's a better perspective that really shows off the size of this hawg

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks peanut, I'll give it a shot next time I'm out. I'm sure it's much easier said than done though, lol!
You're welcome. Yeah it took me a while to learn not to "set the hook" at the feel of the strike. Again, different baits warrant different tactics. With constantly moving baits like ratltraps and swimbaits, the spots smash and turn, hooking themselves. I was so use to pond bass snatching a bait and either just stopping or running parallel, thus inciting a hard hookset. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.