NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

My name is Chris and I live in Greenville. I'm fairly new to the area and am excited about learning the area and how to fish it. I was raised in Oklahoma and spent a lot of my time catfishing on the Arkansas river. There was a lot of crappie fishing and largemouth fishing in the local lakes and ponds.

Yeah I have a ton of questions and I guess I'll just get started.

1. I'm a hop skip and jump from the Tar River, but people tell me that I shouldn't eat the fish that I catch. Too many toxins. Is there any truth to this?

2. I have some limited saltwater experience and can't wait to get on the coast to try my hand on that. What are some of the better areas and what do I fish for? Any suggestions are always welcome. LOL, I dont even know what to use for bait. That should give you an idea of how green I am.

3. I've never been deepwater fishing. Are there good charters and are there ones that I should avoid?

4. How do the fresh water seasons run here? Back home we would fish certain species at certain times of the year, ie, catfish early spring during spawn and then in the dead of winter. Crappie in the latter part of spring and then early fall. Largemouth early spring to late summer.

5. Back to the saltwater stuff (the boss like the coast a lot and that will be where I get to indugle the most often. As long as she's happy, I'm happy.). I know that high and low tides are important. Is there a better time to fish the bays (brackish water?) or is it just luck?

See...I've only scratched the surface here. I really want to learn as much as I can so help me out y'all.

Chris

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Hi Chris and welcome to the site. I'm glad you found us. The site is still very new (started January 1st), but we've grown to over 320 members already. Only a few folks have taken the plunge and posted as you have. I hope you'll get a response back very soon to some of your questions by some of the experts here. Gator Man has had great success with crappie fishing in this area and we have a number of salt water guys on the board, in addition to some very experienced lake and stream spinner and fly fishing folk. The expertise is here and I hope some of the guys will help you out.

If I can be of any assistance please let me know. Again, welcome to the board! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NCangler said:
Hi Chris and welcome to the site. I'm glad you found us. The site is still very new (started January 1st), but we've grown to over 320 members already. Only a few folks have taken the plunge and posted as you have. I hope you'll get a response back very soon to some of your questions by some of the experts here. Gator Man has had great success with crappie fishing in this area and we have a number of salt water guys on the board, in addition to some very experienced lake and stream spinner and fly fishing folk. The expertise is here and I hope some of the guys will help you out.

If I can be of any assistance please let me know. Again, welcome to the board! :)
Thanks NC. 320 members is nothing to sneeze at. I'm glad to find somewhere like this at all.

As far as trout fishing, I've done my fair share of it in New Mexico and can't wait to head towards the hills to try my hand at it here.

See you next time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Carver63,

See the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission website. Get your NC map out and look at fish consumption advisories. I consider this source to be the most educated authority on the matter. There are advisories about catfish in eastern NC (especially flatheads). There are also advisories about fish consumption from the Catawba chain south and east of I-85 but that is further west than you. I have also read about mercury and King Mackeral. I recall something about a 39" no eat limit but that doesn't concern me much since I rarely get to fish salt water like I want to. It seems I'll fish from the beach once a year for a while longer yet. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
carpenter334 said:
Carver63,

See the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission website. Get your NC map out and look at fish consumption advisories. I consider this source to be the most educated authority on the matter. There are advisories about catfish in eastern NC (especially flatheads). There are also advisories about fish consumption from the Catawba chain south and east of I-85 but that is further west than you. I have also read about mercury and King Mackeral. I recall something about a 39" no eat limit but that doesn't concern me much since I rarely get to fish salt water like I want to. It seems I'll fish from the beach once a year for a while longer yet. Good luck.

Thank you thank you thank you. This was exactly what I needed.!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.