NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RALEIGH, N.C. (May 1) - A new "move-over" law for waterways is now in effect for boaters in North Carolina.

Boaters approaching within 100 feet of a law enforcement vessel displaying flashing blue lights must slow down to a no-wake speed and use caution in passing. In narrow channels, the distance becomes within 50 feet of a law enforcement vessel displaying a flashing blue light.

Violators are subject to fines up to $250 and court costs.

"The immediate area where blue lights are displayed becomes a no wake zone during that time," said Capt. Chris Huebner, boating safety coordinator for N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission, which enforces laws and regulations for inland waterways. "All approaching vessels are required to reduce to idle speed so there is no appreciable wake and it's advisable to maneuver away from or avoid the area, if possible. The law is designed to protect the safety of boaters, law enforcement officers and emergency responders."

The safety measure for waterways is much like the state's move-over law for highways, which requires motorists to move into a lane away from a law enforcement or emergency vehicle with flashing lights, if possible, and to reduce speed.

For more information on boating safety and regulations, go to www.ncwildlife.org or call (919) 707-0031.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Ya'll got the bionic man in the armada??:)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Haven't you seen those hobie peddlers (sic) go? :eek:

(In case you haven't -- Patented Hobie MirageDrive)
(And the "sic" refers to an uncanny tendency folks seem to have to stop spelling once they start pedaling.)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
No problem here, as I will probably be the one he's stopped--checking to see if I have any over sized fish.:D

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Couple years ago, I was going out Drum Inlet and one of the ncmf officers was there stopping everybody and checking coolers. He didn't stop me so I turned around and stopped him and asked why I wasn't checked. He told me that he knew that I couldn't catch fish anyway. OUCH!:eek:

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I've been stopped four time already this year. I figure it's because with no fish they get their job done quicker :eek:, record my boat numbers and check one more off their quota for the day..... :D

Actually one time I did have some nice black bass on board - I think they musta snuck into the cooler while I was napping......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.