NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the North East this past Saturday, but not much luck. If anyone has any tips on this river let me know. I fished whole bream, cut bream, shrimp, chicken liver, pinfish, and popeye mullets. Only produced a few little dinks, and blackfish. Had boat trouble as well, and some guys let me use their jumper cables. Can't remember their names, but told them about NCangler, and took a pic of their big catch that night. Looks like about a twenty-twenty five pound blue channel. I think I am going to stick to flounder catching for a while. I seem to have the flounder's numbers dialed in. Went after them Tuesday, and well you guys know the rest of the story.:cool:

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I do love going cattin" But I need to get some salt training too!!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The best tip I can give anybody for fishing rivers at night is to get your baits up next to the bank. I think Catkiller uses a device called a planer bobber to steer his lines into place. I haven't tried them, but they look like just the thing for river fishing in a moderate to slow current. Otherwise if you aren't getting hung up with a carolina rig you just might be in the wrong neighborhood. There are better rigs to keep from getting hung up so much though.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The best tip I can give anybody for fishing rivers at night is to get your baits up next to the bank. I think Catkiller uses a device called a planer bobber to steer his lines into place. I haven't tried them, but they look like just the thing for river fishing in a moderate to slow current. Otherwise if you aren't getting hung up with a carolina rig you just might be in the wrong neighborhood. There are better rigs to keep from getting hung up so much though.
I was fishing the right areas, I know that, just no big boys. Just little 1-3 pound dinks.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool - I've not tried that one but heard it was in less that excellent shape. I put in down river of there in Rocky Point - excellent ramps there.
I had no complaint about the ramp. I actually thought it was pretty nice. I have put in at the one beside the Rocky Point bridge in the past, and the one off of Shaw Hwy, I thought was a lot nicer.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was fishing the right areas, I know that, just no big boys. Just little 1-3 pound dinks.
On my big poles (Penn 330GTI) I tie up a three way swivel, like you would do for drum or grouper. I use a 3-4 ounce weight, so the rig stays exactly where I want it. I have caught big cats in the past, just not in the NE CF. I know they are there, just can't figure it out.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
On my big poles (Penn 330GTI) I tie up a three way swivel, like you would do for drum or grouper. I use a 3-4 ounce weight, so the rig stays exactly where I want it. I have caught big cats in the past, just not in the NE CF. I know they are there, just can't figure it out.
A good trick for the three way rig is to use a lighter line for the sinker leader. Alot of times the sinker is what hangs and that lets you pop the line without losing the whole thing. I've brought a few cats in I would have lost otherwise because the sinker is all that was hung. I also rig my baits in a weedless fashion by burying the hook in the bait just below the surface so I have less chance of snagging the hook.

Reactions: Bread Man 1

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You are right about them being there. The last time I was travelling thru there I talked to some guys fueling up their boat. They were obviously on their way in so I asked them if they had any luck. They had 3 in the 15-20lb range and several between 6 and 10. That was in the early spring when the water temps was still in the 50's so I was pretty impressed but I was too stupid to ask how they had caught them. It was about 4pm when I saw them.
If the water isn't too low you might try hanging about 3 onions sacks from the overhanging limbs just before dark. I'd try to space them out a pretty good ways apart. Catch a couple of fish and move to the next one type thing. I'd try 3-4" brim or spots, live, just a little bit behind them. If the river gets busy you could always move the lower one into the upper position or even hang all three within easy casting distance. I can't swear it will work for you but it would be easy enough to try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.