NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to some changes in scheduling, I was able to head to my favorite wild rainbow stream yesterday. Started the drive from my house in some rain, so was a bit wary about what the day would bring. Fortunately, this stream does not flood unlike the my original destination, which would have been dangerous for flash floods. The day started very slow with lot of warpaint shiners, which left me thinking that either the trout were gone or I would have to go up some in elevation.

After almost 45 minutes of no trout, I reverted back to an old tactic, which is to pick up some garbage to improve my fishing karma. About 5 minutes later, I got this tiny one but was happy for it! I was happy that I wasn't going to get skunked.

Kept going up and picked up a few on the dry

Fishing continued to be slow and I thought I would have to be content with lots of shiners and a few trout. Then, I decided to switch my dropper to a greenie weenie and it was on!

Again, I was surprised by this brown. This stream does not have browns. The spots were red, so it had been there for a while. I still am not sure if it is really wild or a leftover stocker. Last time out, several of you thought was really wild.

From this hole

Last one was small but fought really hard

Looking at all the buggy eyes, it looks like the fish are not getting all that much food (should I have kept some?). I love this stream, it is accessible and almost never crowded. I ran into another fisherman just before my last pool before I usually exit and spoke with him for a bit about my luck with the greenie weenie. Made to the car just before the skies opened up and it began pouring. Finished the day with two cheeseburgers and a chocolate shake. All in all, pretty good day.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know about keeping them? I'd say you did the right thing. More may be going on there than just the possibility of overpopulation.
I was probably being more tongue in cheek. To date, I have been strictly C&R, although I have no problems if someone legally keeps a few to eat. I know there are several passionate views on this site on the catch versus keep subject so I was trying get some spirited debate going. I have heard that wild brooks are quite tasty. :D

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I was probably being more tongue in cheek. To date, I have been strictly C&R, although I have no problems if someone legally keeps a few to eat. I know there are several passionate views on this site on the catch versus keep subject so I was trying get some spirited debate going. I have heard that wild brooks are quite tasty. :D
Tasty indeed. I'm not starving tho so I c&r as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the greenie weenie! I didn't end up catching anything because the skies opened up and I headed for home, but I look forward to getting back there with my new fly!

Due to some changes in scheduling, I was able to head to my favorite wild rainbow stream yesterday. Started the drive from my house in some rain, so was a bit wary about what the day would bring. Fortunately, this stream does not flood unlike the my original destination, which would have been dangerous for flash floods. The day started very slow with lot of warpaint shiners, which left me thinking that either the trout were gone or I would have to go up some in elevation.

After almost 45 minutes of no trout, I reverted back to an old tactic, which is to pick up some garbage to improve my fishing karma. About 5 minutes later, I got this tiny one but was happy for it! I was happy that I wasn't going to get skunked.

Kept going up and picked up a few on the dry

Fishing continued to be slow and I thought I would have to be content with lots of shiners and a few trout. Then, I decided to switch my dropper to a greenie weenie and it was on!

Again, I was surprised by this brown. This stream does not have browns. The spots were red, so it had been there for a while. I still am not sure if it is really wild or a leftover stocker. Last time out, several of you thought was really wild.

From this hole

Last one was small but fought really hard

Looking at all the buggy eyes, it looks like the fish are not getting all that much food (should I have kept some?). I love this stream, it is accessible and almost never crowded. I ran into another fisherman just before my last pool before I usually exit and spoke with him for a bit about my luck with the greenie weenie. Made to the car just before the skies opened up and it began pouring. Finished the day with two cheeseburgers and a chocolate shake. All in all, pretty good day.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chorister - you are more than welcome. As we talked about, my 15 year old son tied that fly and we have used them from where we fished to the Smokies on both wild and stocked trout. Hope you catch lots with it. This is a great stream with very little pressure so let's keep it on the DL :D.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.