NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading down to the base to stay with a buddy and wanted to do some surf fishing and or pier fishing while i was there. I have everything i need just wondering what is around to catch during Early APRIL. Im going to be fishing on Bouge inlet Pier or on the beach around it. Any advice would be great. I have done some surf fishing in Destin Florida and was very sucessful but this is colder water and different time of year.

thanks in advance

mitch

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is that a tall pier. when i looked on the cam earlier it didnt look that tall. Most blue fish are caught off the pier as to fishing from the surf. Also is sea mullet and puffer edible. i know reds and blues are good

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Sea mullet also called Virginia Mullet and Whiting, are very tasty fish.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Ya didn't scroll down far enough....

Piers / Surf:

We are still weighing in nice upper slot Red Drum from the Fort Macon area. Last weekend was pretty good but over the last few days it has slowed down some. The fish seem to be moving in and out feeding around the rocks. If you're there at the time they move in you can have some great action because some have been too big to keep. Live Mud Minnows, Bait Shrimp and Cut Mullet all are working well.

The piers are still catching Blow Fish and have started to catch small Sea Mullets moving through this week. This should only get better and better from here out along the beach. No reports yet of any Blue Fish but they're on their way in so it shouldn't be to long until some small ones get caught.

I know anglers are just waiting for the Chopper Blues to come through. We are stocked up on Mullet Rigs, Wire Rigs, Cut Mullet and Finger Mullet when they do show up. How it’s looking I would say within the next few weeks but who knows it could be next week. Anglers are still catching Dog Sharks some don’t like them, some love the action with the pull they give. Anglers fishing are using Squid and Mullet on the sharks for the best action.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
+1 on Chasin' tails - I was a complete noob last April when we went to Atlantic Beach. They could have tried to sell me a bunch of junk, but they actually took the time to talk w/ me and figure out what I knew, what I needed to, and I had a great time. I fish a ton in VA and Florida by boat, but never surf fish. Nice to have folks who don't treat you like an idiot.

Interesting to see that the fish were so much earlier a little further south, we were in Atlantic Beach the second to last week in April last year. We caught a couple sea mullet, but it was a bit early still. I did catch a beautiful black drum and some shark (and a blue the size of my hand!). Good luck on your trip!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks man. I went to Destin 2 years back and caught a ton every morning in late September. Down there Sea Mullet are called Whiting, I think I also caught a ton of sting rays and a 9lb permit fish that was great eating. Lady fish were caught to but I just threw them back. I don't expect to catch a lot of fish but I was told that the drum are caught around the pillars of the piers and if the black drum down there are what im thinking than they are also called Sheepshead. I think people use fiddler crabs to catch them but I could be wrong. I would just like to cast a line out every morning and take in the ocean.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Thanks man. I went to Destin 2 years back and caught a ton every morning in late September. Down there Sea Mullet are called Whiting, I think I also caught a ton of sting rays and a 9lb permit fish that was great eating. Lady fish were caught to but I just threw them back. I don't expect to catch a lot of fish but I was told that the drum are caught around the pillars of the piers and if the black drum down there are what im thinking than they are also called Sheepshead. I think people use fiddler crabs to catch them but I could be wrong. I would just like to cast a line out every morning and take in the ocean.

Sheepshead are what feeds on the piles and bridges. Black drum are a different species, but you will be able to catch black drum that time of year more so than the sheepshead. The rocks at fort macon will better your chances of catching a drum.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.