NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just stationed on ft. bragg and haven't had any luck. my buddy and i have fished keist lake (sp?) and caught one blue gill. went to carolina beach state park and no luck and cape fear river and just saw hill billies getting drunk. any suggestions? we both love to fish for large mouth bass but i will settle for catfishing. oh yeah, no boat either. maybe someone can share some wisdom because this is really frustrating.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Cape Fear is a great place to fish according to some of my buddies. I hear they have some huge Cat and good Crappie and Bass. August is a tough month for fish and the water table has been screwed up with all this rain so I would expect things to be slow. Water temps are falling now so things will pick up fast. Ponds and shallow rivers are especially effected by water temps because fish have fewer places to find relief from the heat so the become dormant... I'd say stick with the areas you're fishing and give them another try...

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
eliq25 - Welcome to NC Angler!

I'm still laughing about your Hilbilly comment - those hilbillies you saw at Carolina beach were an aweful long way from home :) Nothing but flat land here. Heck - down here on the coast we call a 5 foot high mound of dirt - THE HILL.

Sometimes it takes a while to adjust to new fishing environs. Hang in there and see if you can find a local to go fishing with or you might even consider going on a charter to learn the local fishing spots and techniques.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, good news. i caught a couple more fish. woo-hoo!!! i caught a bluegill bream (sp?) last sunday (10 sept.) my buddy had to tell me what it was, i'm almost positive we don't have those in texas. i also caught a small mouth bass tonight. both at mott lake and both on mepps comets (1/4). thanks for all the input guys and does anyone ever have any luck with chicken liver? looks like i'm getting back in the swing of things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.