NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dbeam and I spent 3 days in Bay River Camp Ground.

Non Fishing - BRCG is looking a little beat up. The kayak launch is blocked by a floating dock that was thrown there by a hurricane. The fishing crabbing pier has not been repaired, and the place was rather empty. On the plus side, we were still welcomed as family by Frank & Rachel, we could lauch our kayaks from the concrete boat launch, and the camper we rented was in good condition, clean, and at a very reasonable price. Frank is having serious heath issues, it's not my place to discuss the details, but we sat down to yap with him for a while on his deck.

Non-Fishing - I found that I can paddle a kayak across a mile or so of open water, with some wind and chop. I also found that I am FAR too inexperienced on boats in general and kayaks in particular to be able to relax and fish in conditions where a wave will put water into my kayak about every minute or two.... with my heavy weight, I keep my scupper plugs in, which might not have been the best choice. To reduce my personal pucker factor, I paddled back to a protected shore and fished there.

Fishing: Keeper sized fish avoided us entirely during the trip. We tried a lot of different presentations, but nothing worked. I wound up with 4 small flouner, 2 undersized trout, and a 5" pinfish that ate a 3" gulp shrimp....Darryl did better, caught a couple of croaker to go with his undersized slam fish, but we were very disappointed.

When talking to other fishermen, we consistently heard that nobody was catching much, and that drum weren't very common this year.

We saw no signs of shrimp in the area... Plenty of schools of mullett, schools of pinfish, some jelly fish.... No shrimp.

One opinion we heard was that the hurricane that came through a few weeks ago hit north of this area, and the swirling winds took most of the water out of bay river, and the shrimp and baitfish went with it..... Frank at BRCG said that their canals had only an inch or two of water in them during that time. To make matters worse, the wind hasn't been from the ocean very much, so the refilling of the river has been by rain and fresh water runoff, making the salinity low.

Makes sense....

FWIW....
Nice seeing RouseD and his granddaughter stopping by. We also met Redyota for the first time, had some fishing talk with trapperken, and stopped to buy some lures from ScottHobbs.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Good seeing you and DBeam and thanks for stopping in, it has been awhile since I've seen you guys.

Summer time fishing sometimes is a hit or miss or a feast or famine situation. Lots of storms with loads of freshwater and high winds do take its toll of fishing. If all goes good the fishing should pic back up in a short time.

Maybe next trip you guys can fill the cooler for some fresh fish to take home.

·
Banned
324 Posts
So its not just us on the drum and small fish. I don't think I've ever been to Bay River/Vandemere and not caught a drum but me and dad have been 4 times and he has been multiple in between and not landed ONE. Not even a small. I was also just telling him it seems the fish are staying out in the sounds more than running up river so the low salinity makes sense.

We have managed to land a few keeper trout on fly rod and our normal plastics but few and far between.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't say.... I don't know what to look for.

Perhaps some of the markers I thought were crab traps were nets.... But I don't know how to identify them.

·
Registered
833 Posts
There may be no light tackle fun to be had....but I can pretty much guarantee that you were close to some BiG Drum. Some of my numbers from bay river have already been producing old drum and even a jumped Tarpon for some friends

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Shrimpers hit that area hard too this time of year, even small boats dragging nets by hand..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts