NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to post this report though not much to report. I went down to Topsail to fish this past Sunday and Monday with the intention to target Pompano in the surf. I got there sunday morning around 11:30 AM and decided to go up to New River Inlet to fish the falling tide for maybe a Black or Red Drum bite. Went out to the end as far as I could drive where the channel hugs the shore and started fishing up on a little flat next to the channel with fresh whole shrimp on carolina rigs. No takers. It was hot, hot, hot! There were right many people there but most had quit fishing. I tried gulp crabs and shrimp and nothing happening either. Just for fun I started throwing a two hooker dropper loop rig on the channel edge and caught several big Pinfish. They were fun on light tackle and I can say I didn't get skunked.

I headed down south to gather sandfleas for the Pompano and after finally finding some under the Jolly Roger pier headed to the south end to fish for pompano in the surf. Did not catch any.........:(.

Got up Monday moring and went up to the old Scotch Bonnett Pier remains just north of Surf City pier to target Pompano again. Fished for approximately 3 hours around the old pier and up the beach. Tried targeting flounder around the old pier pilings with no results. The wind started blowing out of what I think was the south east and it got really rough and it was hard to keep a bait in the water and next to impossible to jig around the pilings. I needed to start heading back towards Apex so I packed up and headed out.

I guess between the lack of local knowledge, very hot weather and rough surf it just wasn't meant to be. One of these days I am going to learn that Island! All in All a day on the beach is better than working fish or no fish! I'LL BE BACK!!!

Mark

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Mark - you happened to pick the hottest week of the year so far and the water temps are in the mid 80's now. Of course that is normal for this time of year, it is the "dog days" of summer after all.

Sorry I wasn't able to link up with you on this trip, hopefully on the next one! Was good to talk to you on the phone though.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike, I really appreciated the call. I was not that far up the road towards home when you called and if it hadn't been for my wife hurting her hip I would have turned around. I had already told her I was on the way home. Thanks so much for the invite!

I couldn't resist riding down to Wilmington to visit Tex's Tackle but I found out the hard way that they are not open on Monday. The sign said Monday if for fishing so I couldn't fret about that. I should have paid attention to the hours the last time I was there. I was on the road for home after driving down there when you called Mike.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
No need to be ashamed you were there and you tried but with the water so hot I suspect what little catching goes on for awhile will mostly be at night and early am before the sun gets up much. You never know til you try but I also expect that most of the pompano will be found near or in deep water while the sun is beaming down. Once the water drops back down to 80 things should pick back up a little. Tarpon , jacks, ladyfish and cudas come to mind when I hear mid 80's.They seem pretty tolerant of High water temps but even so they are longshots from a pier even. Probably the best bet inshore would be ladyfish and ribbonfish if you are into that kind of thing. They are both good fighters and they make excellent baits. Neither are what I would consider edible though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.