NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So myself, my sond and daughter Andy aka Optymistic and Mark aka mwagner hit a flow licated south of Asheboro and east of Troy. Rumors of smallies put the flow on my radar last year and I was finally able to get to it.

First things first 3 or 4 weeks ago this flow would have probably been a good level. Now there is way more portage than float and in months to come it will only get worse. Outside of new water and pretty scenery and having family and friends with me I did not enjoy this trip.

Tons of green sunfish one 8 inch crappie and one 13 inch bass were the total for the day.

On the water for just over 4 hours I returned home beaten bruised and somehow a right ring finger that dosnt want to operate correctly.

A few pictures from the trip.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that cat is out of the bag.

This was the Little and it would only get worse the further downstream you go. Gradient increases significantly at 24/27 if im any good with topo's.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few weeks ago it would have flowed nicely with on tricky spot me and Andy talked about at an old dam near the take out.

And im sure there are many that knew of it just hate blowing out places.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I honestly think just about the hole thing could have been waded some way.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro
There were a few deep stretches where that might have been difficult or impossible though. I remember a few bends where I thought this had to be the spot where one of would catch something bigger; steep, undercut banks with a few boulders here and there but pretty deep between them because I was throwing a jig and working it pretty much all the way across at a pretty steep line angle. Mostly it wasn't like that, but you would have to somehow get past those spots if wading. Getting out and hiking is not a legal option and the rightful owners are quick to exercise their rights. I am not complaining; it's their land and they should be able to do that. I am just saying that makes wading not a real good option. But if what we caught is the common catch, the biggest reason is "why bother?".

I enjoyed the day overall and I am glad to have first hand knowledge.

·
Registered
966 Posts
As a general rule, I do not downriver float any river unless the drainage size is over 200 sq. miles. The Little falls well below this threshold in the area you all describe.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks for giving me some insight as to navigability. My brother-in-law and I have had our eye on some access points on private property above what appears to be a dam. Looks now that dropping a 12 or 14 jon wouldn't be ideal.

·
Red X Angler
11,228 Posts
Thanks for the tip, it has been on my mind since we talked at Kerr Scott. Sorry it turned out soo Rough.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
3,772 Posts
Sounds like the post was more enjoyable than the trip. Thanks for sharing, though Gene. Sorry you had a less than ideal trip.

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah it was one of those things. Glad I experienced it first hand but wish id have pulled the trigger a month ago.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
A month ago there would have been a pucker factor at the blasted dam remains though.
I posted this one to another thread where we were talking about river fishing, but belongs here. Gene's son was about to take off by himself in the canoe at the bottom of one of the shoals...

Water Plant Boat Watercraft Nature

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Nice post....I wasn't gonna say location but since its out of the bag......I too had heartd about smallies there so I went to ck it out in 2009......there are smallies in there. I caught a handful but nothing over 10inches ....I did catch some really nice redbreast and the section I was on I would consider the finest looking water in nc.....I did have a monster flathead swim right by by foot in knee deep water while I wading.

http://mackinncblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/heard-about-this-river-in-eastern-n.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts