NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello I was hoping for some info. I will be visiting my mom in NC on thanksgiving weekend and want to go fishing.. We generally head over to the topsail area and either fish off the joly roger pier or launch our little boat at sneads ferry and fish under the bridge. I doubt we will take the boat seeing how we will only be at the beach for a day or two. So is the pier still open on the 25 or 26th of november and will there be anything biting. I dont care whats biting I just like to fish in the ocean and only get too a couple times a year.. thanks in advance for any info

Rob Calhoun
(Stuck in Indiana without an ocean)

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Hi Rob. Glad you found our site. I know what you mean about access to the ocean. We are blessed here in NC to have the ocean, some great lakes and trout streams in the mountains. There is some great fishing in Indiana too I know.

The weather has been very warm here so far this fall but could turn at anytime time. I anticipate that it will be pretty mild when you're here. Fishing has been interesting this year with the hurricanes that have blown through. Lots of rough water days. I haven't had a chance to get out since JULY! But there are some great anglers on this site that I'm sure will give you some more productive information.

Enjoy your stay in the Tarheel state and Happy Thanksgiving.
Blessings,
Randy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes fishing was good here in Indiana this summer but winter is setting in and I ce fishing is not my thing. I caught several catfish over 40 pounds this summer(bluecats) and a flathead that went 39.. walleye and smallmouth were great also.. But nothing compares to ocean fishing for me even though I have never caught anything really big. I guess its just being there.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Rob
hampsteadfishing posts a lot of reports from the topsail area - he organizes his reports by month, so you can check his log for october and what he's alread seen in november.

I'm giving some thought to trying Topsail around Thanksgiving as well... Never been there before... It'll be interesting I'm sure...
Lefty

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hi Rob - Welcome to the board.

I'm thinking there is a good chance there will be fish here for Thanksgiving. I know there will be trout and flounder, just not sure if they still be around the Pier. I think the pier will still be open. We can check that for ya, remind me a few days before you come.

Course its hard to say what the weather will be like then. Fall fishing started 2 -3 weeks late which is probably good cause the hurricanes messed up the water earlier. It was 80 this week but a cold blow is coming through Thursday but they say back into the 70's by Sunday. I'm sure hoping to have my boat in the water that whole week-end!

The fishing has been awesome the last 2 weeks though. I will keep posting reports for Topsail so check back in.

Tight lines,
Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
How's it going? Just wondering about the surf fishing around carolina beach? A few guys and me are heading for a weekend getaway to Carolina beach and figured we would do some fishing while there. Please reply with whats hitting around there?

Keep Casting,

Dwayne Faircloth

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Not sure about Carolina Beach but about 20 miles north here's what biting on the beach: Spots, VA mullet, black & red drum, specks and gray trout, blues, flounder and a few Pompano (thining out with the colder weather) are being caught in the surf and on piers. In other words, typically fall fishing for this area is going strong. There's a pretty good blow going on today off shore and near shore with 25K winds, it's suppose to be clamed down tomorrow but the bite may very well be different by then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.