NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Welcome to NCA Rookie! I can't help with the local info but congradulations on taking your boys fishing. My mom took me on my very first fishing outing over 35yrs ago... Not only did it start a lifetime pursuit but I'll never forget how that single 4" bream I'd caught on a breambuster fed all four of us that night and tasted just like flounder:rolleyes: Good times.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
depends on part of raleigh ya live in for lakes. Also Dicks or Walmart have nice little Diawa combos for 29$ range a great starter rod and reel. Crappie are best eating around here so get some minnows or worms and head to Durant ya can fish on a pier ay boat house.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Beaver Dam Park at Falls Lake would be perfect.It has picnic tables,grills,paved parking lot, and fairly good fishing. The shore line is clean and sandy for easy walking and casting. This time of the year fishing worms under corks will catch you some nice white perch which are good to eat. As for tackle I would recommend a 2500 series spinning reel on a 6 foot medium action rod and 10 pound monofilament fishing line. Without knowing your level of experience with live bait red wigglers or night crawlers are pretty simple to put on the hook,but some small minnows will produce a little larger perch. Also use number 4 or 6 size hooks. The biggest mistake some beginners make is using a hook too large for the fish they are trying to catch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We tried fishing for Large Mouth Bass at Shelley Lake today. Not even a nibble. We got two rods at Dicks and tried some shiny lures with bloodworm bait. The line was 17 pound. I SO appreciate the advice and will give Beaver Dam Park a try. Our hooks were definitely too large.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Glad you and your boys got out there today ... I also have 2 boys and enjoy the family time together fishing. Don't give up, big catches will come your way.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
17lb test is probably a little on the heavy side for the kind of fishing you and your boys will be doing. What rod and reels did you end up getting them if you don't mind me asking? I'm sure I have some lighter 10-12lb line i could give you laying around somewhere and would be more than happy to help you get all of your gear set up properly to get those boys on some fish! There is a fishing dock at lake Wheeler will produce dozens of small fish at any given time and there is also a small stocked catfish pond at lake wheeler that would be safe to eat out of if you caught anything with some size (though most cats i've seen out of there were small). Lake Wheeler is $2/day to fish at. There's another small stocked catfish pond at the park by shearon harris that would be great for kids to catch and eat some fish. If I get a chance I could meet with you at one of the local ponds/lakes and i'll even clean any fish you guys wanna eat and show you how to do it if you haven't done it before. The biggest thing right now is to get them on some numbers of fish, even the really little ones will make them happy while they're learning. Get em hooked young and it will keep them out of a lot of trouble as they get older! Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
First, you may wanna hit on the safety aspects with the young ones....ESPECIALLY using caution when dealing with hooks (casting).....

A decent rod/reel combo will suffice for their learning period....night crawlers under a float....CRICKETS under a float will bring action....and some topwater lures (poppers)....also, some small (2") rapala crank baits are easy to use and will catch anything that's goin to bite in that vicinity.....good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have to agree with NCStateFisher. 17lb test is probably too high. Around this time of the year I rarely go above a 12lb mono (usually stick with a 10lb mono) to allow some controlled stretch to keep it in the mouth longer and to protect against abrasion. If I go higher than 12lb it is for a leader for plastics.

As far as eating what is caught, I can't help there since I don't eat fish and I'm a C&R man.

Depending on the age of the kids and the type of fish you are going after will make a big difference on how to advise you. That being said, just being on the water with a line is always a good day so look around, do a bit of reading and keep us informed of your adventures. Fishing can be infuriating but it is always more fun when others are enjoying the pursuit with you so good on ya for getting the boys into this sport. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Please bend the barbs on the hooks down, nothing worst than a fishing trip that ends in the ER.
Speaking of fishing trip ending in ER, this happened to me, but with a crank bait hook, a year or two ago.

And, like NCState said, the 17lb test might be too high, 8-10lb will be good enough for Crappie and Bass fishing in the area, especially shoreline with worms, and some artificial lures.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
If it hasn't been mentioned, the heavier 17 lb line will bird nest easily when using smaller lures, and sinkers. That is one reason why everyone here is recommending a smaller line.
Congrats, and very admirable, on getting your boys into fishing. You will not regret it. That interest will keep them out of trouble, and will give them a lifetime of enjoyment, as well as yourself. You'll get lots of help on ncangler.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Durant lake ya can eat the crappie from it just fine. It's a nice lake and the boat house is a great little pier for the boys to fish. Also along the right side of the lower lake there are a lot of nice little coves for setting up a chair. Once it gets warmer Umstead sycamore and big lake have nice spots for crappie and sycamore has a nice dock to fish from as well but that one ya probably wanna make sure kids can swim since its all surrounded by water. A zebco 202 is a great first fishing getup.

NCstatefisher is a great guy take him up on the offer and he knows a lot of the lakes and species at each.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.