NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
bummer... great place for snook and isnt fished as hard is down at Lemon Bay just south of Sarasota/Venice. Some of the biggest snooks I've ever seen (and I mean ALOT of them) down that way from the Marina across from Stump pass all the way down to Boca Grande phosphate docks. If you ever get the chance to fish Lemon Bay, do it!! It's where the locals go to fish to get away from boat traffic and competition from the many inshore guides and fishermen around the Bradenton/Sarasota/Tampa/Clearwater areas.

Another great spot down there is in the back of Casey Key around the Blackburn point bridge, the grass flat's and mangroves are loaded with trout/snook/redfish. Any where on the edges of oyster beds and pylings and sea walls are excellent for snook. Same thing for the canals that come off the ICW down that way.

The biggest snook I saw actually caught was a 45 lb'r that hit a floatin gold with black back 5 inch Rapala shallow diver, was caught on 20 lb test and once I saw ol' boy flop it out of the back of his pickup truck I was "hook'd on snook". We'd always fished snook around the Venice jetties, but shortly switched to fishin them back canals and some old rail road tressles, put on a lady fish and hold on!! :)

Too bad seasons out on them right now, they're some of the best table fare you can get.

Great job again! and thanx for postin the pic... took me back to our canoe days of fishin the mangroves... great times!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The coolest thing here was a group of guys in a boat saw me hook up, then they beached their boat behind me and came over with a net to help me land the fish.

There's a bunch of places here that I would love to try but I think I'll go back to Honeymoon Island on Friday. It's close to where I'm staying and everyone is telling that it's a really good area this time of year. I'm going to get out early this time. The afternoon sun is brutal and the fish turn off about 2PM.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
There are some ledges In the surf just at the northernmost part of the northernmost parking area that should be great for snook right now. Another thing is at the big bridge on the way over to the island there are lights that light up the fenders on either side of the channel. Between 2 am and 4am after the local guys give up on them the channel under the lights and especially around the fenders is a snook and trout hotspot. They are extremely boat shy though. The channel at the little bridge is known for producing some nice cobia. The grass flats along the causeway between the bridges took a hard hit from the hurricanes a couple of years ago and the hole near the western end on the south side got filled in then. IF I were there now I'd be fishing the ledges I mentioned first. Plan on wading whether flyfishing or gulping. Bring anything you want to eat or drink as the state will burn you for at least 2.50 for a 6oz OJ. Food while higher priced is not as bad out of line as something to drink. AL
PS. Was that snook caught on the south side of the causeway just before you get to the little bridge? Sorta looks like it but the land in the background seems just a little closer than I remember it. Venice jetties get a thumbs up here too but there are a lot of places between the two spots.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Those ledges I was telling you about are easier to reach with a fly at low tide. they are still within reach of a jig at high tide. Some of the locals like to freeline live shrimp. greenies (thread herring) and live pinfish there also. You might even see a pretty large boat or two anchored up there with the stern 10 or 15 yds off the beach. It is a well known spot that is best fished early am during the week. I can't guarantee you anything other than that is where I'd be this time of year for snook. Trout, sheephead, flounder,cobia and tarpon are all possible from that spot. The best thing other than the fishing is it is a very short walk to your car there. Some guys park outside the park gates and fish it from sunup till the park opens but that is a 30 min walk each way. in the summer and fall the best way to fish the inside is by kayak at night and early am. AL

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Hey Al,, probably shouldnt tell him about that crappy fishin down in the 10,000 island area then... :eek: Definately not a yaker/nooer's dream and surely no fish! :p

Venice is ok,, but man.. sunday boaters... makes parkin in Walmart on a holiday weekend super sale look like childs play. :D

All those beach nourishment projects washed out alot of good shoreline structure from Englewood up to Lido beaches. Use to be some nice dog legs (now under sand), and nice ledges and rocky bottom within snorkle distance from shore. Just aint the same down there no more. And whooo.. the construction... unfortunate to say, but it's all headin up to north Florida fast... Good Ol' Florabama will never be the same down the road either... Hmm.. wonder if I should move to Alaska and take up halibut wrestlin??:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Al- I as in fact fishing the southern side of the causeway. I was scanning the causeways for areas this evening and I could see the ledges that you were talking about. I looking forward to get work out of the way and to get after them on Friday.

Sorry guys but I've already discovered the 10,000 Islands. I have a friend that has a place in Chokoloskee, who took me out earlier this year. My trip there wasn't as sucessful but I caught my first Snook on a fly and learned alot about sightcasting and working a fly rod in high winds (20 MPH) and on a extremely low tide.

Thanks for all your tips.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Chok and the 10 K are wide open. In Naples, pick up a sack of McDonalds burgers for the local couple that works at the marina ramp. They will help get you tightened up with the right guides, the good info/bait etc. If snook are out of season, ask Cookie about the stone crab. They are the best in the world!
Andy

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm very fortunate that the folks that I work for have a place at Chokoluskee and they enjoy taking me out when I visit. I'm gonna have to figure out how to get a full week in down there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Got word from Berkley from area Rep that the company has fallen a little behind on production and it may be a month or so before any more saltwater gulp hits the shelves of the big box stores so be nice to the Mom and Pops or you maybe fishing with natural bait again.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Luremaker- I had heard the same thing. I was told that they are actually allocating order quaniites to the dealers because their supply has fallen behind. However, I'm still seeing alot in the boxes around Fayetteville. I agree that it's best to support your local Independent Retailers whenver possible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.