NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So much for my recent remarks about old favorite fishing rods. I think they should outlaw all tackle shops on hwy 70. My vehicle always turns uncontrollable into their parking lots, it's like some magnetic force has taken over the steering wheel. I made it thru one of them ok, but the other not to good. I saw this 9 ft. steelhead/salmon rod. At least, it's one like I don't aready have. I had visions of laying back in my kayak tossing a lure 50 yds. for speckled trout with this rod. I had a weak moment and bought it.:eek:

Now, that I am home, I am having more realistic visions. My wife has been very explicit about where she is putting the next new fishing rod that shows up on our credit card.:eek: I wish now I had at least settled for the 6 ft. Fenwick that I looked at.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Don't feel bad... that 9' is already safely in your arsenal. it's the 6' that won't be so safe in your arse'n'all. ;) You should have let me know you had such visions. I have several from 8 1/2' to 10' . Even have them in casting models. Only 3 have a for sure permanent home and one of those is an old FS-86 feralite Fenwick. For kayak fishing though the longest I would normally use is 71/2'. If I were planning on mainly trolling the longer rods would get some consideration but 7' seems to be long enough without being too long once you get the fish alongside. Those longer graphite rods aren't too good when you have a larger fish alongside and you are having to hold the rod nearly vertical to net the fish. i realize that the same thing happens wade fishing but that is when they tend to break. Of course now that you know all this, you will want to donate it to me so I'll have yet another. lol They make pretty good surf rods for days when the wind and current lets you fish light. Tops for wading inlets for flounder. I like the glass models best for bait. Graphite seems to me more suited for fishing lures. Still I like glass for distance because it seems to be more forgiving of weight choice. Also glass is probably more forgiving in the timing dept. I guess everybody knows I like old glass fenwicks but not graphite of any brand. lol

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's probably going to wind as a light wt.rod for sea mullet and pompano, fishing the shoals around the inlets. First obstacle, I've got to brace myself when the credit card bill arrives in the mail. :eek: That might be a good time to consider carrying a load of sea gulls down to the Fla. Keys.:D

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Surely it wasn't that bad. My last one was a 81/2 foot lamiglas for $25.00 at most. Don't really remember but it may have been as low as $15.00 . It is a casting model. I put an old diawa 6hs on it after I remowed the level wind and levelwind gear. Also took the bearings out and cleaned them and put quantum hot sauce in the bearings. The reel was another $15.00. Same place I got the rod. Best not let your wife read this though. AL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Know the feeling!

After fishing the KMT at Sneads Ferry a couple of weeks ago, and stealing a few glimpses of what other boats were dragging. (I have a good pair of 10x50s) I decided to make a trip to the Bass Pro Shop. Big! Mistake! $746.00 later I felt like I should own stock in that store. Or at least receive some dividends.

I don't have a better half to help me restrain from the black magic the mysteriously draws most fisherman to these evil dens. But I caught pure H_ _ _ from my lady friend.
Best of luck

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wellcraft Dave---MAN, are you making me feel GOOD!! Several years ago a big sports discount store in Greensboro was going out of business, in addition to buying fishing equipement, heck, I bought three of their commercial rod racks. Just can't figure out why the good wife notices the credit card when I buy a new fishing rod, of course I have the racks filled. Occasionally, I will throw an old one into the attic after I buy a new one so it will not look like I'm getting overloaded.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
my wife quit countin long ago... she wouldnt know a new one from an older one at this point... ha ha ha haha...

Sports Authority or somethin like that had a "goin out of buisness" sale in Fayetteville, they had rod racks in there for the rediculous price of $30!!!!!! I grab'd 3 of them then got the "evil eye of the wife look" (y'all know what I'm talkin about...) Was a shame to leave them, could only get one.

Southbend rod rack, $30 if she wasnt there, I'd a snatch'd em all up! :D

The kicker was them Penn Senator rods for $40 a piece!!!

Who say's men caint shop!?!?! ha ha hah a.....

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I hit that going out of business sale, everything was 75% off. Had 4 cops in store to break up fights and maintain order. I had more fishing stuff piled in my shopping cart than a street person could stack beer cans in. One of my rod racks is the Quantum deluxe revolving job. I even bought their large 5 drawer plexiglass UMPQUA fly display case. Still have 2 new SA #8 wf fly lines in box from this sale. You surely don't want any empty space in your rod racks. Yes sir! We men can really shop when there is a NEED for some new fishing equipement. :D

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Dave, it seems those southbend rod racks only hold 1/3 of a fisherman's toy's. I've only got one and need two more also. When I saw the picture I said, "Man that looks familiar" then I read the text and said " No wonder, that's even the same rack." Looks like we are all discount tackle ho's. lol

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
HA HA HA HA... man,,, you just made me spray my monitor with sweet tea!!!!

Yup, I guess we all are!!! Aint nothin wrong with that!!

hey, now that I know y'all are lookin'.... if there's a deal that pops up in my neck of the woods, I'll let y'all know about it. :D

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Don't make it too easy. When I went to Fla. last fall I planned to spend some time there so I was forced to carry just over 100 outfits.lol I've since pared it down a little but I keep finding just the reel I've been looking for. Spheros 4000/71/2' falcon , Early model newell 220, 4500 baitrunner... there are just too many to have to choose from...I've got reels that I've never even put line on now. I've got the fly fishing pretty well covered to. 5,7,8,9,and 10 wt outfits. Can you spell addiction? Currently have 2 kayaks and wanting a Prowler 15 . If you find a used one cheap please don't tell me about it. Also have a strong desire to build a twin inboard fishing cat. PLEASE, SOMEBODY HELP!:eek: :eek: :eek:
AL

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Hello. My name is Forrest, I am a FISHAHOLLIC and TACKLEJUNKY.":eek:
Thank you for inviting me to FISH ANONYMOUS.:eek:

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
What you need is the new seat belt technology!!!

Great for them trips to the tackle center when you have the balance down on the card and it starts burnin a hole in yer wallet when the new fangled doo-hicky's hit the shelves....

From what I understand, works for the trip home too after "loadin" up!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.