NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning headed out to a cary lake that I haven't fished in a long time. When I arrived I decided to start on the dammed end of the lake instead of my usual starting spot. I noticed a bit of debris on the water so decided I would start off with the frog since the frogs were chiming in like crazy and was noticing some decent swirls of bass activity around the lake.

Started off working the area and on about the third cast slam and from is under water however the fish released it quickly before I even had a chance to hook set. Decided ok maybe he missed it and will come back again about four casts later SLAM and this time the frog is under and I set the hook. The fish comes flying out of the water doing a nice display and the fight is on. I kept the rod tip low and was able to keep him from going airborne again. Got it up on board and weighed in at a nice 4.27#. Took picture and set it free. Number 100 for the year ( i need to get busy if I am gonna hit 350 this year )

After fixing the frog tossed it to another spot I had seen a swirl at. Twitch twitch and pop something hit it and it was under, but seemed like a bunch of slack and I thought I missed it however the frog never surfaced and I felt tug tug like a worm bite and decided to give it a rip. Another goes airborne and again big quality fish on. This one keeps doing aerial displays and finally get in landed noticing it has swallowed the frog. The hooks were in deep and as I am trying to get hooks out the bass is still trying to swallow the frog since it is completely up the line and off the hooks. I finally get the hooks out with a little gill dehooking trick and weigh the fish but since it was out of water for a while and bleeding a little I decided to get it back into the water and forego the picture. This one came in at 4.15#. BACK to BACK HOGS of the frog!!!

Tried a spook and buzz bait in the area but no more takers on them or the frog so moved on to the next spot. First cast with the frog and another good miss I am thinking probably a smaller bass and couldn't inhale the pad crasher. Finally after no other action on the frog and not a bump on the spook started working the buzz bait. One fish is attacking the buzz as it gets close to me and I guess it saw me before swiping and took off, looked like another 4+ fish ( darn clear water ). Another run with buzz and a short strike miss. About 5 casts later out into open water instead of shore hugging about ten cranks in down goes the buzz bait and the smaller 2# in attached pictures was landed and for once it was on the trailer hook.

Moved on again to another location and again a miss in the frog, worked same spot again another miss. So I switch to a much smaller profile frog work it through the same spot and down it goes and a little 1# is on shore. Perseverance paid off.

Moved to the end of the lake I normally start on and tossed the buzz first and as it landed something took off from shore about three feet from the spot I hit. No takes but finally ended up with another 1# on the buzz bait.

Overall a fun morning of topwater action and the back to back hogs was worth it. Couldn't buy a bite on the spook but good to see some buzz bait action again.

Will be back after them tomorrow night in my usual hunting grounds since I can only fish for about an hour after dinner.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Very Nice Spidey! I caught a couple 3 lbers the other morning on my Cavitron and had a nice 5+ on, that shook the hook at the bank. Caught a couple dinks on a frog and popper also. Just waiting for the spook bite to kick in now too.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like the reel/line tension problems aren't really bothering you that much. Good Job.

Darrell
i work thru the line issues. I really love fishing the frog but can't seem to get the bass at Lynn interested in it at all. Glad I have other lakes that seem to have better spots for working it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.