NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since it's so close to home, I decided I would try yet again to put my growing knowledge to the test and see if I can crack Oak Hollow's code. Bass fishing opportunities have been limited this summer by a herniated disc in my back followed by surgery, followed by a busy work schedule trying to make up for the time I missed from said problem. I am able to get back on the water, just don't have a lot time... hence Oak Hollow because it's 12 minutes from my house and I can fish a couple hours and run back home when I have short windows.

So anyway... not doing as badly as I could be, as I have caught at least one fish on each of the last 5 trips, and at least one bass on each except one where I caught a little catfish and a couple 1.5lb hybrids. Most of my trips have been around 2 to 2.5 hours. However, most the bass have been dinks, other than one quality fish of about 2 to 2.5lbs. It's more or less catching schoolies on top on cloudy evenings, or getting lucky with small fish in some of the (limited) shoreline cover.

I am disappointed in the shoreline cover of the lake. Laydowns are typically my bread and butter, and I will often be able to get fish out of them following behind other boats; I have just become comfortable and confident in what I do I guess. So I have definite opinions about what makes one fallen tree better than another. Oak Hollow has a lot of trees and bushes that hang over the bank, and some have fallen in. Almost all (with only a few exceptions) of the laydowns at Oak Hollow lie over a very shallow shelf. It looks nice from a distance but when you get up to it, it's really of minimal quality. I have fished much of it, but with only a couple dinks to show for it. I can see why the reputation is that you have to find offshore structure... the problem is that there is not a lot of it that I have found yet. With no available maps of the actual creek / river channel, and limited topographic maps, I can see how it is such a challenge to figure that place out. Currently I would say I have more determination than I do confidence in cracking the code there, but we shall see. Anyway... enough of my musings.

Pic-worthy fish were the 5lb or so hybrid on a family outing with the wife and 2 year old, and the one decent keeper bass on another family outing where I just fished for an hour or so and got lucky (with the fish I mean :eek:). Hybrid was on a Flash Mob Jr. after I saw something running shad in a main lake pocket, and the bass was on a shakey head and trick worm on a minor ledge that falls from a flat to a secondary channel.

Water Smile Fisherman Fish Lake
Sky Cloud Fisherman Fish Smile

Tight lines, everyone, and happy Labor Day weekend!

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This may help....

Oak Hollow streambed/channel map...

View attachment 65191

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zqZLx_YLGxyk.kjldFXg-0F1Q

Fishscalz

PS Sam, if you want a topographic map in a jpg image format, send a PM to me with your email address.
Thanks Fishscalz. Although your maps are interesting, they lack the accuracy I need for what I'm trying to do. Thank you, though. I do already have a topo map... two of them actually, but they are each with their limitations. I just don't have one that has the actual river channel marked on it.... it's ok, over time I will mark it myself. Side Imaging on sonar is actually rather useful for that if you criss cross the channel it shows up reasonably well in most places. Just will take time.

I know it's tough, not having a lot of visible structure. But I do know a couple of good places there.
I'd be happy to get any info I can there, Jerry. I am still trying to find child care for tomorrow but it's not looking very promising. We're gonna do that duel eventually!

Reactions: Fishscalz

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does this help ya any?
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!
That's one of the ones I have, Mike, thanks to you. :) It has helped me find some targets I want to fish, but I have not yet found that magic combination of contour and cover.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Secondary points, east side of the lake. Best I've seen out there.
I've been fishing a lot of secondary points, especially in the arm that runs North from the center of the lake, East side and a few on the West side as well. I guess I just need to keep fishin' and eventually I'll find something worth finding.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Lets see, two major creek arms converging at the end of the air lines where all the shad gasp for air. Looks like the road to the fish grocery store. If I were a fish that's where I'd be. Thanks for the maps. This lake is 30 minutes from me as opposed to an hour plus for anything else that holds stripers/hybrids. Guess I have a reason to try it now.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Stripes.

Be aware that anything near the dam may likely be part of the dam after construction.
Your interpretation is good, but the topo data is usually from before the impoundment was created.
This applies to all impoundments.

Fishscalz (who has spent many hours trying to find what is no longer there....)

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lets see, two major creek arms converging at the end of the air lines where all the shad gasp for air. Looks like the road to the fish grocery store. If I were a fish that's where I'd be. Thanks for the maps. This lake is 30 minutes from me as opposed to an hour plus for anything else that holds stripers/hybrids. Guess I have a reason to try it now.
I wish it were that simple. :D

Reactions: Fishscalz
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.