NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I am debating about entering the classic. Haven't kayak fished yet in salt water, but the wife and me have been pier fishing the island for a year and really enjoy it. I just got a sea kayak and still learning the ropes, but the classic is interesting me. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I saw in an earlier post that you're still getting sea legs.

If you don't know quite what you're doing, perhaps you should save your entrance fee and just launch about the same time.... Kind of like auditting a class in college... You get the same experience, but at not cost and nothing official.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The classic is always packed with almost 200 ppl so I would find some people and talk to them. I fish inshore and its alot easier then people think. Topwater in the morning, gulp on a jighead in the afternoon. Look for busting baitfish and tails.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'd vote for inshore...launching at Blue Water Point Marina or at the 39 Pl W launch site. Investigate the tides....going east or west with the tide will make life easier....but there are some good options for fish in the area between the island and the waterway...pretty protected and minimal boat traffic...some good shellfish beds and area holds flounder, drum and trout. An anchor or stakeout pole will be handy in wind and current. A net and a lip gripper will be quite useful holding fish since you have to measure and photograph at the same time...including the wrist band in the photo. Make sure to secure everything....easy to drop a rod, paddle, camera or cell phone overboard when a nice flounder starts flopping and thrashing. I'd keep gear to a minimum if you are new to kayak tourneys and paddling in the salt. If there is minimal boat traffic on the waterway, scoot across from Blue Water Point Marina and go up into the Lockwood Folly River area.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Some of the spots may be difficult to launch at low water...muddy etc....but Blue Water Point is always good. If you can pre-fish the area, you will locate a number of "flats" that flood at high tide...and you can ID a bunch of shellfish beds, dropoffs etc that fish well. There are a number of points to fish around and piers and pilings as well...that have held some nice flounder.

In the tourney, photo and measure everything....you just never know what may win....even a Lizard Fish...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, for all of the good advice. Going to make sure the ole lady is OK with me going down that weekend and I don't believe I have drill either. But right now I am planning on going still debating if I am going register.

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
there is room for 175 there is 149 already registered meaning not many more to go before its capped,last year was my first year i placed 4th and im gunning for 1st this year inshore,i had never ever fished there before didnt do any recon went down the nite before hit it in the am and caught fish from the door ;) you dont know how its gonna go unless you just go and try ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.