NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Yall,

Im headed down to Oak island 2nd week in August. Im a big trout/smallmouth fly fisherman, and would like to catch anything out of the salt on my 8wt. Any tips? I am not opposed to throwing bait in the surf, and im sure I will, but I would love to get a red on the fly. I will have my canoe with me. If anyone lives down there and would be willing to show me around, I would have no problem trading a trout or smallmouth trip for some time on the water. Thanks!

Tight Lines, john

·
Registered
495 Posts
I will be on Oak Island 8/6 till 8/12. If that is the same time frame for you we should get together. I can't help with the fly stuff as my experience is primarily from the surf and sound, but we can compare notes!

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
The back waters should be prime for red drum and flounder to bite. Check out around the marshes and places where the tides can recide and leave islands behind. Work the sloughs between the islands. Clousers, shrimp imitating flies and topwater chuggers (crease fly) and such should bring home the bacon...:)

<*))))>{

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.