NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going the 22-27 and taking my flats boat. Taking my grandsons out and would like to know about the Reds and Flounder this time of year. Looks like the tide won't be big enough to see tailing fish. Can I find them in the ICW or do I need to go to flats off Cape fear

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out the creeks around Oak Island on an out going tide. Anchor at the mouth of a smaller creek that feeds into a larger one. reds, flounder and trout hang out to feed on the bait coming out of the creeks. Bald Head Island creeks are great for flounder. Cape Fear river can get rough with the correct wind and tides. Be careful and good luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out the creeks around Oak Island on an out going tide. Anchor at the mouth of a smaller creek that feeds into a larger one. reds, flounder and trout hang out to feed on the bait coming out of the creeks. Bald Head Island creeks are great for flounder. Cape Fear river can get rough with the correct wind and tides. Be careful and good luck
Thanks for your help My Flats Boat handles rough water pretty good and I have been in Cape Fear with no trouble but it can get hairy crossing sometime

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for your help My Flats Boat handles rough water pretty good and I have been in Cape Fear with no trouble but it can get hairy crossing sometime
I believe if it was me, I'd run up the thoroughfare in the early am. Some really good tidal creeks for tailers, if the tides are right. If not, always flounder laying around the oysters. Just a thought.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe if it was me, I'd run up the thoroughfare in the early am. Some really good tidal creeks for tailers, if the tides are right. If not, always flounder laying around the oysters. Just a thought.
I know were thoroughfare is and then around it to the east are several creeks Cedar Creek that leads to Buzzard Bay and Still Creek or go past them to Muddy Slough. Also my chart says there are Tarpon there in Thoroughfare and if I see any rolling I am going to toss a fly at them

·
Registered
177 Posts
hit up the creeks and sloughs around the Lockwood Folly inlet. I have caught citation trout and flounder back there, be it falling or rising tide. Our beach house is right across the street from Montgomery Slough to the east of Bluewater Point marina. If you focused on the area in this map you could do pretty well for yourself:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/O...0x8900a081b16e4cb3:0xb94fac3c2cceea73!6m1!1e1

that said, it never hurts to run up towards Bald Head and fish that way or even go up to Snows Cut if you have the time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hit up the creeks and sloughs around the Lockwood Folly inlet. I have caught citation trout and flounder back there, be it falling or rising tide. Our beach house is right across the street from Montgomery Slough to the east of Bluewater Point marina. If you focused on the area in this map you could do pretty well for yourself:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/O...0x8900a081b16e4cb3:0xb94fac3c2cceea73!6m1!1e1

that said, it never hurts to run up towards Bald Head and fish that way or even go up to Snows Cut if you have the time.
Thanks I may get down there. The map was helpful

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.