NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another surf fishing lesson. Nothing notable to report or brag about but a few firsts for this newbie surf fisher.

Per my post asking how to fish using the fish finder rig, well I got my first hook up. The ray almost pulled my rod into the surf. Oops, drag set too tight and rod spike need to be really really solid.

Baby pompanos, mullets and a puffer on the hi-lo rig. Also got to cast a fly to fool a baby flounder and an ugly lizardfish. That was fun.

Really was hoping for the "fall" frenzy but it definitely wasn't. Did talked to a few other anglers and they were of the same opinion.

Road surface Fish Asphalt Soil Sand

Finger Soil Fish Water Thumb

Water Fluid Bird Fish Tail

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you happen to see any mullet in the surf? We saw none all weekend. Caught a few in the marsh at the cut over. Also, no sand fleas!

Find the bait, you'll find the fish.
Yeah, not many bait. Only a few weeks ago one toss of a cast net would have filled up a couple of bait buckets. Not so much this past weekend.

I used fresh shrimps on the hi-lo that brought in a small whiting and blue for cut bait. Also pulled in a crab, which also cut up and that was the one the ray got hooked on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Two weeks ago fished the 58th street access. Lots of finger mullet plus corn cob size further out moving through. It was slow but did pull a couple nice Spanish using finger mullet on fish finder rig along with some 2-3 pound bluefish and a half dozen barely legal flounder which had to go back so it didn’t really matter if they were 16” or 26” 😡

Attachments

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two weeks ago fished the 58th street access. Lots of finger mullet plus corn cob size further out moving through. It was slow but did pull a couple nice Spanish using finger mullet on fish finder rig along with some 2-3 pound bluefish and a half dozen barely legal flounder which had to go back so it didn’t really matter if they were 16” or 26” 😡
Nice. I've yet to bring a Spanish to hand, nor speckle. Still working on it...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nice cart Yellow. I have the same one but with the stock wheels. Meaning it's still a pain in softsand.

I have never fished Oak Island but hope to some day. Southport water-front is a pretty cool area.
my oem tires were pneumatic but not the balloon type. A buddy gave me the sand tires because he was switching to something suitable for hard surface. I had to fabricate a new axle but it turned out well. I’ve had back surgery and those balloon tires make a big difference negotiating soft sand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts