NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i haven't posted on here in a while but thought this would be one for the site to see. we had our vacation on Sept 27- Oct 5. and the following is each days events of the trip. I was able to fish 6 days in a row and lets just say the fishing is on fire right now if you have a boat.

Day 1 we arrived on saturday and just took out time to get everything in order at the house and get the boat out and prepaired for the following days events.

Day 2. Myself and a friend Todd broke the inlet and found bait pretty easy and began trolling along the beach and out to about 5 miles. the wind was blowing pretty good and once you reached the five mile mark the waves were 4 to 6 ft. so we just stayed near shore. we trolled most of the day and finally had 1 run that made the day. after a long fight on king gear we boated a nice 40.30lb cobia

Day 2 we broke the inlet and we fished all day without a single fish. a buddy boat was fishing around us and had boated some nice kings and we were just watching. we had a couple strikes and just never had a fish hook up.

Day 3. the weather was supposed to be pretty bad so we stayed onshore until about 2 and chose to head out to the reef. we caught a lot of blues and some lizzard fish and just alot of trash fish. we did however catch our limit of grey trout and nice flounder

Day 4 the weather had started to make a turn for the better so we broke the inlet hoping to go chase some grouper. we jumped the shoals at cape fear and we were met with 4 to 6 ft seas ever 4 sec. we didn't want to push our luck so we headed back to where we had caught the cobia a couple days before. when we arrived and pulled the throttle back we had 4 nice cobia show up behind the boat. baits hit the water and we were hooked up. the first one got off. the second one was hooked up and pulled the hooks right at the boat. but to our surprise the fish spun around and hit the bait again this time staying hooked up. we fought this fish and finally boated a nice 30lb fish.

we then realized we had gotten off the numbers where we seen the fish so we put lines in the water and started to troll back to the area we had a rod take off and the king hit the deck

we still continued to head back to the numbers and before we knew it the cobia showed back up. we then feed another one and this time the fish stayed hooked up. after a very long fight the fish hit the deck

at the end of the day we had 3 kings up to 30lbs and 3 cobia at 30, 44.75, and 51lbs

Day 5 we chose to head offshore and we found the kings at about 15 miles. we fish all day and had a really nice day of catching. we finished the day with 8 kings and 1 nice spanish

Day 6 the US Open was in full swing and we chose to leave a little late to avoid the crowd. we broke the inlet and found bait easily and headed back offshore to the 15 to 20 mile area from the day before. we fished for about 4 hours and boated 4 kings all were in the 15 to 25lb range.

all in all i had a very great week at the beach and loved every min of it. we also had some go pro videos that are in the process of uploading. will add them soon as they are up.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'd love to have that much Cobia in the freezer!!! Tasty fish! Great week!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the cobia were caught within 3 miles of the beach down close to Lockwood folly inlet. the kings came from both near shore and offshore. the bigger fish were caught near shore but the quantity is more offshore. Hey Eric, we have been doing good just working alot and trying to go fishing but with work its getting harder to do unless we plan. overall the beard has been growing since april and well i figured duck dynasty would be callin soon for a guest appearance...lol.. would love to meet those guys anyway. but as for fishing the ocean bite is off the hook right now and alot of fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.