NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People are catching speckled trout with live shrimp off the piers, how do you rig the shrimp? Bottom rig, Carolina rig, or float rig? I've never fished them like this off a pier and am confused. Anywhere else on the island I can snag a few specks with a kayak? Thank you for any replies, I've lived in NC my whole life and never been to Oak Island, I can't wait to catch some!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Float rig or put the sinker on the bottom and your hook at least 4' from it. I would use a 3 way swivel and a treble hook size 18 to 14 based on your shrimp size. Leave a 1' leader for the hook. Attache the shrimp by the head on the black spot so he can swim freely.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Lots of kayak options on Oak Island. I have launched at Blue Water Point Marina (public ramp) and at 39th st W ramp. From Blue Water Pt. marina...it is a pretty short paddle across the ICW into Lockwood Folly River...or you can fish way up the slough to your right or explore some of the areas to your left. Several good areas and shellfish beds. I think you can always launch at the Marina. I'd suggest launching at low tide and doing a reconnaissance paddle.... At low tide...you can't launch at 39th St W due to mud. There are also launch ramps at the other end...e.g. Fish Factory Rd. in Southport.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.