NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite it being 4th of July weekend and knowing there was going to an insane amount of boat traffic I decided the weather was going to be too nice to not take out the yaks. I paddled a total of 7 miles and did 2-3 hours of fishing. My girlfriend and I actually did pretty well. We fished Davis Canal to try to stay clear of some of the traffic. We got out there early and right off I had a solid hit on a 3" Gulp shrimp. I set the hook and a nice red starts peeling drag. After a good 5 minutes I thought he was tired out, and I pull him up to scoop the net under him. As soon as he saw the boat he went under it, and he got half a second without the proper tension on the line and was gone. O well...that's fishing and he took advantage of me not being completely used to the yak yet. Fighting a fish while paddling and trying to net him at the same time takes a little getting used to. We still had a good day though, and we caught a total of six flounder and lost a few others. No doormats today, but the biggest one was decent size at 18.5". They were all on the 3" Gulp shrimp, which are pretty much amazing, and they hold up really well. We used the chartreuse gulp minnows too, but the twister tales kept getting bitten off by pinfish and small blues.

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Despite it being 4th of July weekend and knowing there was going to an insane amount of boat traffic I decided the weather was going to be too nice to not take out the yaks. I paddled a total of 7 miles and did 2-3 hours of fishing. My girlfriend and I actually did pretty well. We fished Davis Canal to try to stay clear of some of the traffic. We got out there early and right off I had a solid hit on a 3" Gulp shrimp. I set the hook and a nice red starts peeling drag. After a good 5 minutes I thought he was tired out, and I pull him up to scoop the net under him. As soon as he saw the boat he went under it, and he got half a second without the proper tension on the line and was gone. O well...that's fishing and he took advantage of me not being completely used to the yak yet. Fighting a fish while paddling and trying to net him at the same time takes a little getting used to. We still had a good day though, and we caught a total of six flounder and lost a few others. No doormats today, but the biggest one was decent size at 18.5". They were all on the 3" Gulp shrimp, which are pretty much amazing, and they hold up really well. We used the chartreuse gulp minnows too, but the twister tales kept getting bitten off by pinfish and small blues.
Were you fishing the Gulp shrimp on popping corks or jig heads?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was using jig heads since I was primarily fishing for flatties. Popping corks would have probably been more successful for targeting the reds or trout, but I figured with all the traffic that flatties were my best bet to be able to catch some fish. Also, there were about 15 mph winds with strong current so that would have been tough to use and not get hung up on the docks. I primarily fished on the backside of points where it created a natural eddy for the flatties. Casted to the bank and brought it towards me, and they were mostly around the dropoffs to the channel. Two light jerks like to make it look like the shrimp was popping and bounced it along the bottom that way. There were a few boats that kept passing us while trolling the canal for flatties w/ live menhaden, and we caught more fish with the gulps than they did. I was a surprised.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's encouraging. I'll be in OI the first week of August and was thinking of hitting Davis canal myself since I'll have access to a yak. Where did you put in if you don't mind me asking? And what type of anchor did you use?

·
Registered
54 Posts

Good job! I fished davis canal a week ago and caught flounder and speckled trout

vlcsnap-2014-06-28-11h26m19s37.jpg

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't even bring an anchor this weekend, but I have a 5 lb grapple anchor. I can anchor both of my kayaks w/ that one anchor. You don't even need one that big for just your a single yak though. I put in at the rec center, but next time I'll probably either put in at blue point marina or somewhere closer to that area.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I didn't even bring an anchor this weekend, but I have a 5 lb grapple anchor. I can anchor both of my kayaks w/ that one anchor. You don't even need one that big for just your a single yak though. I put in at the rec center, but next time I'll probably either put in at blue point marina or somewhere closer to that area.
Thanks for the reply...I have a grapple anchor and I was just making sure that would hold me with the tides...plan to throw soft plastics and probably some topwater and popping corks and see what happens. Hopefully the flounders and trout will be hungry. Thanks again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What were the trout hitting?
I caught the trout on live bait ( finger mullet, and mud minnows) under a popping cork or free-lined but kept suspended and not on the bottom. Flounder loved mud minnows on a carolina rig. But, you should be able to land some on mr17 electric chicken mirrolures if you're looking to use artifical baits...

there were no pogies to be found while i was there. a storm came though and usually i could get them in the ICW but no one could find any. They should be back by now though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I caught the trout on live bait ( finger mullet, and mud minnows) under a popping cork or free-lined but kept suspended and not on the bottom. Flounder loved mud minnows on a carolina rig. But, you should be able to land some on mr17 electric chicken mirrolures if you're looking to use artifical baits...

there were no pogies to be found while i was there. a storm came though and usually i could get them in the ICW but no one could find any. They should be back by now though.
Thanks, do you fish the area regularly? This will be my first time fishing the area but I'm looking forward to it. Do you ever throw any topwater plugs?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks, do you fish the area regularly? This will be my first time fishing the area but I'm looking forward to it. Do you ever throw any topwater plugs?
I just gained access to a fishing kayak recently but yes, I try to fish the canal a couple times a month and will continue to. I've tried topwater, no success. But give a mirrolure top dog jr in 808 color a try, i've heard great things about it in the area. It works great for reds, so i've heard...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts