NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading down Thursday morning. Putting in at Blue Point marina. Never been to that area, any advice? Gonna stay inshore and hope to catch flounder, trout, or drum.
Anywhere to buy live bait? I have a net, but I'd like to buy some just in case. Is there a good bait store I should stop at before I get on the island?
Any areas to avoid or watch out for on the water?
Good restaurant?
Thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you leave the marina and go to the waterway take a left, as you go toward the inlet there will be a big oyster bank on your left. If you go up there at low tide there are a few bait pools over the bank on the island....you will get more live bait there than you will ever need. For fishing, you can go to lockwood folly river, which is the river that comes into the waterway as you turn left to go around Sheep Island. As far as food....eat at Blue Water Point Restaurant, best seafood I have probably ever had. Just search google maps and look for areas you would like to fish, just beware of low tide you can get caught up quick when it starts moving and be stuck in the mud somewhere.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408583246.127899.jpg
Just looked at the map.
Arrow is the marina. X is sheep island. Is the area circled off the end of Sheep island the spot to catch bait or off of the back side of oak island?

·
Registered
309 Posts
No, around halfway on your drawn route...more where the top left part of the X ends. Its very obvious once you see the oyster shell bank although you will not be able to see the bait pools till you get out of the boat and walk up on the dam...thats the best way I can describe it.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
It's a nice area to fish. A lot of folks will paddle to the right after leaving the marina...and you can go a long way up that channel past docks, some flats and oyster rocks etc. I have picked up some nice flounder in there and some trout....plastics, gulp and topwater etc. Nice to time your trip with the incoming tide and there is a pretty good current to make it easy to work your way way up that area. Also a launch ramp at the end of 39th st. Don't overlook some of the spots near the marina.

Coming out of the marina, headed toward the waterway...there is a cut on you left that has a lot of oyster rocks.... scouting that area, and others, at low tide will aid in finding good spots when the water is in. Also lots of nice looking water up the Lockwood Folly river.

And I heartily second the recommendation for the restaurant...always very good...just there last week. If you get there at supper time, expect to wait and have a cold one....or order for take out...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts