NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I am really looking for some information on where to go and what to use from a Kayak. I've spent most of my time from the surf and pier on the outerbanks but have become intriqued by the thought of kayak fishing.

Where is the best place to rent a fishing kayak between Avon and Frisco?
(I want to try this out next weekend before I buy one)

If staying in Buxton where are the best put ins and good areas to start?

What should I bring and what should I not bring?

Probably more questions to follow....I am just ready to find the fish rather than sit in one place and wait for them. Kayaking may have to do until I can afford a center console!:)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
There are lots of sound-side access locations... Either look for one without windsurfers, or look for one where you can get to one end or the other. Probably wouldn't be appreciated to rig up and launch in the middle of 'em.

I've hauled my yak down there once, with a group of guys from Church, but nobody else did... since I'm a believer in The Buddy System, I stayed on the surf that year. Several more friends have yaks now, so hopefully soon...

Personally I'd avoid the ocean side -- the surf is way too vigorous for me there. I'll need quite a bit of practice before I try that side...

Oh -- and about that CC -- I know three guys who ditched "regular boats" for kayaks. They can be addicting. ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Much appreciated information. Thanks.

There are lots of sound-side access locations... Either look for one without windsurfers, or look for one where you can get to one end or the other. Probably wouldn't be appreciated to rig up and launch in the middle of 'em.

I've hauled my yak down there once, with a group of guys from Church, but nobody else did... since I'm a believer in The Buddy System, I stayed on the surf that year. Several more friends have yaks now, so hopefully soon...

Personally I'd avoid the ocean side -- the surf is way too vigorous for me there. I'll need quite a bit of practice before I try that side...

Oh -- and about that CC -- I know three guys who ditched "regular boats" for kayaks. They can be addicting. ;-)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Heading north out of Buxton there is a small access road on the left, maybe 200 - 300 yards, that will allow enough room for 2 vehicles. I believe this spot is known as the "canadian hole". Caught a few specks and blues using 1/8 oz jig head on Gulp shrimp the last time I was there in early August. Another place to try is the New Inlet. If memory serves me correctly, it is about 25-30 minutes north of Buxton. I would stop in and ask the folks in Red Drum Tackle shop on where to go as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where would be the best place to set camp for Kayak fishing? I am between Buxton, Hatteras Village, and Ocracoke. More likely Buxton or Hatteras. Done the surf and piers many times but want to make this first experience as fruitful as possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Canadian Hole is supposed to be great fishing. You can see where they dug it out on Google Earth. Only problem fishing there are the wind-surfers. It's called the Canadian Hole because almost all the cars in the area have Quebec plates, it is their Mecca of wind surfing.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Check out the forums at Hatteras Fishing Militia. Mostly locals-great info. Rob does Gulf Stream yak trips for pelagic fish (from a mothership, of course!) Tons of info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.