NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She weighted 30.8 lbs and was 41 in. long. I caught the one in the pic trolling back in after landing the one laying on the deck in the pic 26.4 lbs and 38 in long. What I did to get the fish in the yak was let them fight until I could get them up to the side of the kayak. Then reach over, grip the mouth with my hand and slide the fish over the side and into my lap. After dehooking I slide the tail end of the fish into the footwells and put my leg over the head of the fish. The big one did cause the yak to rock quite a bit, but nothing major. When filleted they had about 5-7 6 in bunker in their bellies. Man it was fun and am greatful to have had the opportunity to fight them.
Chris

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Chris
Whereabout in the OBX are you? I know a guy who's real excited about getting into stripers like those... and I sure wouldn't mind either...

(I noticed you're not on "The map"... NC Angler Fishing - Maps - NC Kayak Anglers and Canoeist Members
If you'd care to add "Kayak Angler" to your profile in the UserCP, you'll show up according to your zip code...)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lefty,
I live in Jarvisburg, which is 7 miles to the Wright Memorial Bridge and then another 3 to the beach. I will try and post on angler map, but am still fairly new to this site. Let me know if you or any of your buddies ever want to fish. Right now the only thing happening is the ocean rocks, the sound and bridges have been dead. If you do decide to come fish dress for the worst the water temp is around 50 I believe. Will beach launch Mon or Tues depending on weather.
Chris

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Chris
If I'm not mistaken, all it takes to get onto the map is to go into your "User Control Panel", provide a zip code ("Quick Links" then "Edit Profile"), and add "Kayak Angler" to your group membership list ("Quick Links", "Member Groups"). So far, "FreedomEagle" is the only paddler we've got pegged in that corner of the state. I understand Ric Burnley's been known to paddle that area as well...

Heading out thru the surf on the OBX - man, what a rush... Of course, my standard for OBX surf is Hatteras in October... From what you describe, things don't sound quite so violent there around Kitty Hawk...

My wife got me a book about paddling the NC coast -- three quarters of its destinations are in the northern half of the coastline. That had me dreamin' pretty hard about wetting the kayak, while I was sitting in the living room at the in-laws' house, after Christmas....

Thanx - lefty

·
Registered
21 Posts
good stuff. might be hittin that area in a couple weeks depending on where the weather has pushed the fish. seems like they wanna stay north these last few years.

you can free up some space in the footwells and slide the fish inside the front hatch (helps to have a buddy of course). just make sure you put it in there tail first or it's a ***** to get the fish back out. learned that one the hard way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Give me a shout if you are in the area in the next couple of weeks and want to fish. Usually free Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat, Sun (yes work is slow this time of year)Let me know. Me and another guy usually go out together.
Chris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.